Are fans dangerous in coops?

Chick3nLover

Songster
Mar 15, 2022
okay so recently due to hot weather we mounted a fan in the coop and I run it from 11:00am-8:00pm. But I had a question, I use hay in my coop and I don’t know, but can a fan in a coop with hay or any bedding create more dust leading to respiratory problems?

okay so recently due to hot weather we mounted a fan in the coop and I run it from 11:00am-8:00pm. But I had a question, I use hay in my coop and I don’t know, but can a fan in a coop with hay or any bedding create more dust leading to respiratory problems?
I've had small fans in my coop before with no issue. I think if the fan is facing more toward the door, you should have no issue. I find it actually helps clear out the dust, especially when your cleaning it.

I've had small fans in my coop before with no issue. I think if the fan is facing more toward the door, you should have no issue. I find it actually helps clear out the dust, especially when your cleaning it.
Ok thank you! Currently I have hay facing horizontal from the wall, so should I move it?

No, that is not a danger. The main danger is the fan catching fire because the feather dander collects on, in, and around the motor. That is if it is a fan that was not specifically designed for very dusty places like barns.

Ok thank you! Currently I have hay facing horizontal from the wall, so should I move it?
No, that is not a danger. The main danger is the fan catching fire because the feather dander collects on, in, and around the motor. That is if it is a fan that was not specifically designed for very dusty places like barns.
How do I prevent fee then?

THIS!!!!!

@aart has instructions for safely mounting a box fan so that it blows in and presents less of a fire hazard but otherwise a fan that is not designed for barn use is probably more of a fire hazard than the much-feared heat lamp.

How do I prevent fee then?
The safest options are a fan designed for barns or ventilation without motors. Ventilation without motors could be cupula, monitor roof, ridge vent with eave vents, open side. Often, esisting coops can be modified to incorporate some or all of these (although a cupula with a monitor roof would look pretty funny and not be necessary). Sometimes wind powered turbines can work if your coop is big enough to warrant them.

Possibly, it would be enough do what you can to minimize the dust and check for dust build up or heat. So, things like take it in while you aren't using it, dusting the coop out then let the dust settle before setting it up, blowing into the coop instead of out. Blowing into the coop through a tunnel or hose-type structure or even just a shroud would help minimize dust blowing back at the fan. Covering it when you aren't using it would theoretically work instead of taking it in but the dust finds it way up under coverings and through any gab. It can help sometimes

Theoretically, you could clean the fan but I've tried to clean fans several times, hence the "theoretically." And that was field dust or dirt road dust; I think chicken dander is finer and harder to remove from surfaces and the air.

I haven't seen aart's instructions but I'm sure they are worth reading.

Last edited:
Ventilation without motors could be cupula, monitor roof, ridge vent with eave vents, open side.

IMO, passive ventilation is superior in *most* backyard situations. No need to run power, no need to purchase specialized equipment, etc.

Most importantly to me, the power has a tendency to go out just when a fan would be most useful -- on very hot afternoons when the power grid is under high demand (though modern transformers seem to "blow" less on summer afternoons than I remember from my childhood), and after tropical storms have brought in HOT and HUMID air behind the wind that takes down trees.

Theoretically, you could clean the fan but I've tried to clean fans several times, hence the "theoretically."

Shop air compressor is probably the most effective. But it's not going to be perfect.

Back
Top Bottom