Are fig trees fine to put in chicken coops?

JustBabyMargo

Hatch-aholic
Premium Feather Member
Jul 7, 2021
Oregon
Hi! My parents bought a fig tree that they say will be planted in our chicken run. I saw one article that said they have some kind of toxic something (in the leaves) but they said they haven’t had any experiences.🤷🏽‍♀️ Should it be fine? Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited:
Hi! My parents bought a fig tree that they say will be planted in our coop. I saw one article that said they have some kind of toxic something (in the leaves) but they said they haven’t had any experiences.🤷🏽‍♀️ Should it be fine? Thanks in advance for any help!
I won't be of much help, but, why would you want to put it in the coop? Does it get enough sun? Fig trees can grow really big...our neighbor had one that branched into our backyard slightly, but the chickens could not really reach it.

I won't be of much help, but, why would you want to put it in the coop? Does it get enough sun? Fig trees can grow really big...our neighbor had one that branched into our backyard slightly, but the chickens could not really reach it.
I don’t know but my mom won’t let me say anything against it. It won’t get good sun or water because it’s under other trees. She said we will keep it trimmed because we have netting up!🤦🏽‍♀️ I’m really not trying to talk bad about my mom here but I don’t know what else to do. And you are helping bring up good points that I can bring up to her!😊

What mama wants, mama usually gets. Plant the fig tree and let nature do the rest.
Would it be harmful though? These are my chickens that I have to take care of. They aren’t hers I have to take care of every single sick chicken. Most of the time she doesn’t even believe me when I tell her what’s wrong.😞 These chickens mean a lot to us and I don’t want them to die before she sees it’s not right.😕

Last edited:
Would it be harmful though? These are my chickens that I have to take care of. They aren’t hers I have to take care of every single sick chicken. Most of the time she doesn’t even believe me when I tell her what’s wrong. My chicks almost died from coccidiosis and I lost my Baby Margo.😞 These chickens mean a lot to us and I don’t want them to die before she sees it’s not right.😕
Well, trees in the coop takes up space. Thats less space for the chickens! I think the tree will die in the coop. But if you cannot get your mom to give in, theres nothing you could do. All I can say is that you may not want to eat the figs off that tree.

Well, trees in the coop takes up space. Thats less space for the chickens! I think the tree will die in the coop. But if you cannot get your mom to give in, theres nothing you could do. All I can say is that you may not want to eat the figs off that tree.
Good points.🤔 I will try again! Are they toxic to goats does anyone know? Oh and my netting is only about 6 feet off the ground. Would we even get any fruit??

Back
Top Bottom