Are fig trees fine to put in chicken coops?

My parents had an 80-year-old fig tree in their chicken run, they used it for decades and didn't cause any problems.
I'd say let your mum have her way, and watch it succumb to nature. Try not to say "I told you so" when it dies.:lol:
Thanks!🤪

I have a fig tree close by my coop. The chickens get some figs and it hasn’t harmed them.
Mine is in the ground and sometimes dies back in a hard winter. I don’t protect it. It grows back from the base.
My chickens like playing around in its branches when they free range and the dense leaves provide shelter from hawks.
I think the biggest issue is that they like full sun to develop fruit.
Hope my experience helps.

There are "fig people" much like, and as passionate as "chicken people" (I'm a member on those forums too). They will recommend that you plant a fig tree near the edge of your property where people are not likely to come into contact with it, because the milky sap of the tree can cause severe burns and allergies in some people. I have three different varieties of fig trees, and when my chickens wander out of their yard, they do not bother them, which usually indicates that the chickens know it isn't good for them, even the grasshoppers won't eat them, when they'll destroy nearly every other tree or plant I have. I've also found that they are a magnet for fire ants if you're unfortunate enough to have them in your area, and they are very water hungry during growth stages, I water my young figs twice as much as my citrus and banana trees.

If you'd like a medical reference, see this case study where four children received second degree burns from playing with fig leaves: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6340245/

If it is planted there, best case you kill a $30 tree; worst case, someone gets a rash after touching it and files a lawsuit.

There are "fig people" much like, and as passionate as "chicken people" (I'm a member on those forums too). They will recommend that you plant a fig tree near the edge of your property where people are not likely to come into contact with it, because the milky sap of the tree can cause severe burns and allergies in some people. I have three different varieties of fig trees, and when my chickens wander out of their yard, they do not bother them, which usually indicates that the chickens know it isn't good for them, even the grasshoppers won't eat them, when they'll destroy nearly every other tree or plant I have. I've also found that they are a magnet for fire ants if you're unfortunate enough to have them in your area, and they are very water hungry during growth stages, I water my young figs twice as much as my citrus and banana trees.

If you'd like a medical reference, see this case study where four children received second degree burns from playing with fig leaves: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6340245/

If it is planted there, best case you kill a $30 tree; worst case, someone gets a rash after touching it and files a lawsuit.
Thanks for that information!

I don’t know but my mom won’t let me say anything against it. It won’t get good sun or water because it’s under other trees. She said we will keep it trimmed because we have netting up!🤦🏽‍♀️ I’m really not trying to talk bad about my mom here but I don’t know what else to do. And you are helping bring up good points that I can bring up to her!😊
I have some on the south side of my house..They outgrow the space every year no matter how much I trim them
Their cut branches make good perches but they are very bushy and fast growing. My miniature rooster got out and hid in the brambles. We tried to hack them down to catch him.to no avail, the brush at the bottom was so thick.and he was maybe 7" tall. We found his body shortly after. Some predator was more wiley than I was. I Simply can't imagine having one of them in my run and would advise against it..

Back
Top Bottom