Are fig trees fine to put in chicken coops?

Not sure, but will it be potted? Do you get snow where you live?
I think it will just go straight into the (rocky🤪) ground. We don’t really get snow more freezing rain.😉 What happens when my chickens jump onto the tree to eat the fruit off? My chickens are crazy and love to perch in bushes and even love to eat from my rosemary bush that’s already in there!🤣

I think it will just go straight into the (rocky🤪) ground. We don’t really get snow more freezing rain.😉 What happens when my chickens jump onto the tree to eat the fruit off? My chickens are crazy and love to perch in bushes and even love to eat from my rosemary bush that’s already in there!🤣
It will need winter protection which would be a bit awkward. Figs will grow back even if the entire branch structure is winter killed but they will only last so long taking winter damage. I wrap mine with hay and bubble wrap, and in very cold climates ppl run small light strings to keep a bit of heat. They do require full, baking sun - they are Mediterranean after all 😇 No sun, no fruit, spindly plant that will last only a few years.
The leaves are goat safe, as is the fruit. Fruit is safe for chickens but leaves are NOT. They are chicken toxic - if its in their coop or run they are more likely to peck it.
Figs are a worthwhile challenge - but in a coop, i vote no.

It will need winter protection which would be a bit awkward. Figs will grow back even if the entire branch structure is winter killed but they will only last so long taking winter damage. I wrap mine with hay and bubble wrap, and in very cold climates ppl run small light strings to keep a bit of heat. They do require full, baking sun - they are Mediterranean after all 😇 No sun, no fruit, spindly plant that will last only a few years.
The leaves are goat safe, as is the fruit. Fruit is safe for chickens but leaves are NOT. They are chicken toxic - if its in their coop or run they are more likely to peck it.
Figs are a worthwhile challenge - but in a coop, i vote no.
Thank you!❤️

Thank you!❤️
You are most welcome! 😇💙 Good luck with your plantings - as an idea, they can have hostas and they would likely do well in the area you are describing. If its super rocky and sandy, toss some peat moss into the planting hole they will do well. May need a small wire fence around it as hostas are quite delicious 😁

Just gonna share from my experience, I dunno nothing bout fig trees other then they make figs an people can eat em, but we got a big fig tree here on the yard it's very big, it doesn't have figs all year round, but when it does the figs don't fall off onto the ground very much if ever that I noticed. But sometimes we gave some to the chickens an they liked em an didn't get harmed chickens go around eating all kinds of stuff... So yeah..

Back
Top Bottom