Are fig trees fine to put in chicken coops?

I know my birds love eating the busted open figs I give them from my bush. If I don't get a chance to harvest early in the morning the nice ripe figs will begin to bust open and then bugs and bees attack them. My chickens just love to eat these and will run around trying to protect their on little bit of fig not knowing there is more than enough to go around.

Hi! My parents bought a fig tree that they say will be planted in our chicken run. I saw one article that said they have some kind of toxic something (in the leaves) but they said they haven’t had any experiences.🤷🏽‍♀️ Should it be fine? Thanks in advance for any help!
Hi. If a fig tree is bad for chicken my chicken would have been sick a long time ago. we have kept chicken there for the last 18 years and still growing.
hope this photo gives you a idea how big they can get, it is about 12 meters wide and the same in height. the cage is made of wire mesh and is about 1.8 meters high and 5 meters in width and have a mesh roof that we cut around the tree
IMG20210925135840.jpg

I have an aviary with a mature fig tree in it. Twenty years on, no problems with hens, ducks or geese. They do eat the ripe fruit, and there is plenty of it! My Shetland sheep wander through and eat the leaves and ripe fruit. That is to say Charlie eats the fruit, loves it! Hamish is more discriminating and prefers saltines. The tree itself provides lots of shade and the leaf fall in autumn is easy to deal with because the leaves are so big.

I don’t know but my mom won’t let me say anything against it. It won’t get good sun or water because it’s under other trees. She said we will keep it trimmed because we have netting up!🤦🏽‍♀️ I’m really not trying to talk bad about my mom here but I don’t know what else to do. And you are helping bring up good points that I can bring up to her!😊
Your mom is delusional

My chickens get out and head to the fig trees. They have zero interest in eating the leaves. I also have poke berry growing all over the yard. If they aren’t starving they won’t eat poisonous leaves. Planting a fig tree right outside the coop seems like a great idea- extra cover from hawks, can grow taller than 6’, figs and hornets for the chickens to eat. Wasps and hornets also love figs. I can’t imagine why you couldn’t also eat the figs. My fig trees are in partial shade and very happy. I don’t think they would be as happy at six feet, but they’d adapt.

Hi! My parents bought a fig tree that they say will be planted in our chicken run. I saw one article that said they have some kind of toxic something (in the leaves) but they said they haven’t had any experiences.🤷🏽‍♀️ Should it be fine? Thanks in advance for any help!
I planted a fig tree where my chickens could under the shade it provided. Never once did I see a chicken nibble on any living or dead leaf. I even raised baby chicks under it to give them shade and all six chickens are all healthy. But sorry to say I removed it because it got way to big in just three years.

We have fig trees in the garden and our free range chickens scratch beneath the trees, dust bath there etc. They even eat the figs when they get the chance and all that with no ill effects.
Nobody so far has tried to eat the leaves and if the tree is more mature they shouldn't be able to reach them. Good luck :).

We have fig trees in the garden and our free range chickens scratch beneath the trees, dust bath there etc. They even eat the figs when they get the chance and all that with no ill effects.
Nobody so far has tried to eat the leaves and if the tree is more mature they shouldn't be able to reach them. Good luck :).

I have a big fig tree right next to my coop, So I did a lot of research on figs and chickens. yes it’s true the leaves and the sap is supposed to be poisonous for the chickens, but the fruit are not poisonous. my girls have never ever eaten the leaves. they just completely ignore the tree. When my figs are ripe I make tons of fig jam (yummy). I always give the birds one or 2 ripe figs broken in half and they love it. They have never gotten sick from the figs. I have a neighbor who also has a fig tree next to her coop and her girls were fine as well. Although I definitely rake up the leaves during fall when the leaves are dropping just in case.
so don’t worry too much I think they know which things not to eat….
good luck

Back
Top Bottom