Are FROGS on the menu?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickensducks&agoose, Jan 30, 2009.

1. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I got my ducks last fall, and my goose didn't decide to swim on the pond til october... so what is the deal with the springtime frog rush and ducks. I know some of y'all said that my ducks will eat fish... will they eat frogs too? Salamanders? turtles? (like pick the squishy bits out of the shell?) will my pond life be decimated?

2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I'm not sure about ducks but I'm sure chickens would eat all of the above with the exception of turtles that are too big to fit in their greedy little beaks. Terrielacy might know the answer to this.

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    What kind of turtles? I hope you dont have snappers.

4. chickensducks&agoose

painted? sliders? little cute ones that don't eat feet...

5. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    With all the rain we had last year I had a constant mud puddle down near the barn. Frogs took up residence in it. My ducks ate all the frogs even with all the great stuff I fed them so yes, ducks do eat frogs. I saw my chickens eat a few also. I doubt your ducks would wipe out a pond though as this was just a shallow puddle.

6. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Muscovies will make you frogless too. I love frogs and was bummed to see them slurping down frogs. [​IMG]

7. chickensducks&agoose

I'm actually phobic of frogs... and the idea of anything 'slurping' them makes me throw up a little in my mouth.... ugh. I will try REALLY hard not to think about it at all....ugh.

8. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    My ducks catch and eat frogs, but not toads that are supposed to taste bad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by