Are geese worth it for protecting the chickens?

I know every goose or gander has her or his own personality, but mine are all about posturing, rather than biting, even during breeding season (now). I can live with the girls hissing as I collect their eggs and the boys puffing themselves up impressively, but would not be fond of bites from those strong bills. 😬 What kind of geese does your friend have?
I think it’s called a lindovskaya? His name is Rober.:lau Like Robert with no “t”,weirdo. It’s gotten better, but I think he is just very protective.

I had to look that breed up, and they look like stockier white Chinese...which makes sense because they apparently have Chinese goose in their lineage. They also have a dewlap. Very interesting! I hope Rober's attitude continues to improve - for the sake of the people he encounters. 😄

I had to look that breed up, and they look like stockier white Chinese...which makes sense because they apparently have Chinese goose in their lineage. They also have a dewlap. Very interesting! I hope Rober's attitude continues to improve - for the sake of the people he encounters. 😄
Thank you! He is very handsome, for a goose. I thought he was Chinese when I fist saw him.

Hi everyone! I was thinking about a goose (or do I need two) for my chickens. What age is best, how many, all the basics. And thanks so much, hope you had a great Easter!
Try an African goose! :) They take very little food and can guard quit well and there loud too!
1650310213034.png

Ohno! My UPS guy has a giant crush on my chicken keeping ability, he wants chickens but cant where he lives. I have a hatch waiting for him when he finally can. :lau Maybe it can chase off my family members.…

of course! I hate doing things unprepared, and geese are scary, my friend‘s only likes him, and he chases everyone else. Painful bites they have.
Hahaha....my mailman always tells my gander to "nibble his arm" 😳 Uhhhh...do you know what you are asking for?? Hahaha 🤣😂🤣

Geese = guard dogs. 👍
Geese = guard chickens 👎 not mine anyway 🤷
Mine hate chickens, so they pretty much guard the front yard (their yard/pen)

did they grow up with the chickens?
Hahaha....my mailman always tells my gander to "nibble his arm" 😳 Uhhhh...do you know what you are asking for?? Hahaha 🤣😂🤣

Geese = guard dogs. 👍
Geese = guard chickens 👎 not mine anyway 🤷
Mine hate chickens, so they pretty much guard the front yard (their yard/pen)

Some... kinda. They had 2 sexlinks that they were raised with (or ...their pet chickens). They were great with. They let red and buffy sleep on their backs up until they were full size and were just annoying. But they both had unfortunate accidents in the goose pool. We were all sad 😭
Waylon and Willie-nilly will be 2 years old in 2 weeks. Definitely a learning experience for me, but the best pets I've ever had!! 🥰🥰 And spoiled rotten!! 😁

Geese will not protect again anything my geese couldnt care less if something grabbed my chickens and my gander hates roosters and my goose is terrified of black chickens lol

Back
Top Bottom