Are German Shepherds Aggressive...?

No more risk than with any other breed. Depends on how they're trained, treated, and bred. If one or both of their parents are/were aggressive, the odds increase, but aggressiveness in their pups is not guaranteed.

So...This may be controversial, and its either politically incorrect or people accuse you of being a breed Nazi for it, but that isn't true.

Labrador Retrievers are bred to help hunt for ducks. That means they have to be obedient, love the water, and have a natural retrieve with a good nose.

Great Pyrenees are bred to protect livestock from predators on the range. That means they need to work indpendently, and be content alone watching over their charges, and do what must be done when something threatens their herd. It also means they bark a lot.

German Shepherds are largely bred as working dogs, to protect, work in close proximity to their handlers, and go in and bite and attack if they must.

You will note that while Police and Law Enforcement use Labs, Beagles, German Shorthairs, Bloodhounds, etc, for detection purposes, they use GSD's and Malinois for the dirty work.

Which means, that your learning curve in getting the dog where you need it to be is potentially a lot steeper. So keep that in mind. You are buying a dog that has the potential to do damage and may have a tougher time keeping it contained.

Of course, if you're a good dog owner, or a drill seargant, or my Mom, none of this will be a problem. But if you want a dog that you potty train, teach sit, and don't have as much to worry about, get something else. Labs, Poodles, Doodles, hounds, some terriers, most sporting breeds, many herding breeds, depending on the exercise and training you can provide, might be a better choice.

So...This may be controversial, and its either politically incorrect or people accuse you of being a breed Nazi for it, but that isn't true.

Labrador Retrievers are bred to help hunt for ducks. That means they have to be obedient, love the water, and have a natural retrieve with a good nose.

Great Pyrenees are bred to protect livestock from predators on the range. That means they need to work indpendently, and be content alone watching over their charges, and do what must be done when something threatens their herd. It also means they bark a lot.

German Shepherds are largely bred as working dogs, to protect, work in close proximity to their handlers, and go in and bite and attack if they must.

You will note that while Police and Law Enforcement use Labs, Beagles, German Shorthairs, Bloodhounds, etc, for detection purposes, they use GSD's and Malinois for the dirty work.

Which means, that your learning curve in getting the dog where you need it to be is potentially a lot steeper. So keep that in mind. You are buying a dog that has the potential to do damage and may have a tougher time keeping it contained.

Of course, if you're a good dog owner, or a drill seargant, or my Mom, none of this will be a problem. But if you want a dog that you potty train, teach sit, and don't have as much to worry about, get something else. Labs, Poodles, Doodles, hounds, some terriers, most sporting breeds, many herding breeds, depending on the exercise and training you can provide, might be a better choice.
I mostly agree with you about the tendencies of most breeds to behave a certain way, it's part of the breeding process. However, dogs used for police work undergo rigorous highly specialized training. And, ANY dog can be trained to "go in and bite". GSD's are used because the sight of a GSD baking, teeth showing, spit flying strikes fear in the hearts of any sane person. They are also preferred, as opposed to other big dogs, because they are much easier to manage when worked up into an attack. My 7 lb Yorkie, who has numerous kills under his collar, could be trained to "go in for the bite", but would hardly get the same response as a GSD. Not as much of a fear factor there:) Most people would still back off if he was barking, snarling, and showing what few teeth he has left:) I used to travel with my Golden Retriever, known to be sweet natured dogs, and I've had people afraid in enter an elevator with us. Big dog, big fear. My little Yorkie, everyone automatically reaches to pet him. Small dog, mostly no fear. GSDs, known for police work, working or not, will still get that fear response. The GSD I had once owned nipped, no blood drawn, a neighbors elbow because she was leaning too far over the fence while we were talking. He never barked, snarled, nothing. Just reached up and nipped her to let her know she was trespassing. He didn't "go in for the bite". But, if he thought I was threatened, he was ready to react appropriately. So, in my opinion, GSDs are not necessarily bred to "go in and attack and bite if they must", but are bred to be loyal, trustworthy, easily trained, and protective and make wonderful family pets. They are used for police work because of their reputation as much as their training and loyalty.

Last edited:
I mostly agree with you about the tendencies of most breeds to behave a certain way, it's part of the breeding process. However, dogs used for police work undergo rigorous highly specialized training. And, ANY dog can be trained to "go in and bite". GSD's are used because the sight of a GSD baking, teeth showing, spit flying strikes fear in the hearts of any sane person. They are also preferred, as opposed to other big dogs, because they are much easier to manage when worked up into an attack. My 7 lb Yorkie, who has numerous kills under his collar, could be trained to "go in for the bite", but would hardly get the same response as a GSD. Not as much of a fear factor there:) Most people would still back off if he was barking, snarling, and showing what few teeth he has left. I used to travel with my Golden Retriever, known to be sweet natured dogs, and I've had people afraid in enter an elevator with us. Big dog, big fear. My little Yorkie, everyone automatically reaches to pet him. Small dog, mostly no fear. GSDs, known for police work, working or not, will still get that fear response. The GSD I had once nipped, no blood drawn, a neighbors elbow because she was leaning too far over the fence while we were talking. He never barked, snarled, nothing. Just reached up and nipped her to let her know she was trespassing. He didn't "go in for the bite". But, if he thought I was threatened, he was ready to react appropriately. So, in my opinion, GSDs are not necessarily bred to "go in and attack and bite if they must", but are bred to be loyal, trustworthy, easily trained, and protective and make wonderful family pets.
I should have qualified that. Not all of them are bred for working purposes. And not all of them will exhibit it easily. But I do think that they are used for the purposes they're used for because it can be trained and brought out efficiently. They use them for the tasks they use them for (which also include search and rescue, seeing eye work, etc) because they are well suited for it.

Only that its a bit more likely that you'll have to work around it than say, a beagle. And if you buy a beagle be advised he might bark a lot and want to trail things. Because rabbit hunters won't breed one that isn't loud on the trail. They love to hear that music. Golden Retrievers don't pull sleds and Huskies make p!$$ poor service animals.

GSD's can be a LOT of dog if you don't know what you're getting yourself into, that's my point.

We have a small hobby farm! I think, though, that that's another reason why my mom was kind of weary... she heard they have a very strong prey drive (which all dogs have... but she was worried that a GSD would have a stronger drive to go after our goats or sheep?)

I don’t think you need to worry about that as long as you have the time to train it.
They are very loyal and listen so good.
I really believe any dog has that drive, I have a old mixed breed, she’s Rottweiler and collie, she eats birds. She also can’t hear so I can’t train her.
I also have a Great Pyrenees mixed with German shepherd, he has that drive but he’s easily trainable, even at the age of 5.
Great Pyrenees are amazing farm dogs, they are bred to look after animals, they are protective and easy to train. So that’s another option for you.

But yeah! I wouldn’t worry about the breed, just if you have the time to train :)

2A9808E9-C24B-4236-8AA6-7F88753847FC.jpeg This is our German Shepherd. He is the most loving dog I’ve ever met! I will agree with others that they are very protective dogs. He was my husband’s dog before I was around, and now he won’t be more than 3 feet from me AT ALL TIMES. I thought it was cute at first, but when I’m always tripping over him, not as cute any more! He’s great with kids and visitors though! I also appreciate that he barks when people come in the driveway, since there are times I’m home alone at night. I have NEVER met an unfriendly GS, but I’m sure it depends on how they are raised. Ours has a lot of anxiety from his previous life (we rescued him), so that’s the only struggle we have with him. Any dog can be loving if raised and treated right!

View attachment 1479565 This is our German Shepherd. He is the most loving dog I’ve ever met! I will agree with others that they are very protective dogs. He was my husband’s dog before I was around, and now he won’t be more than 3 feet from me AT ALL TIMES. I thought it was cute at first, but when I’m always tripping over him, not as cute any more! He’s great with kids and visitors though! I also appreciate that he barks when people come in the driveway, since there are times I’m home alone at night. I have NEVER met an unfriendly GS, but I’m sure it depends on how they are raised. Ours has a lot of anxiety from his previous life (we rescued him), so that’s the only struggle we have with him. Any dog can be loving if raised and treated right!
Very handsome guy!

Having spent nearly 40 years of my life handling other peoples dogs as a groomer and as a vet assistant, I can tell you there is a very wide variety of temperaments in this breed. My sister has also had multiple GSDs that I have known very well. I am here to tell you, IT IS NOT ALL IN HOW THEY ARE RAISED! The proper raising training and socialization is highly important, but equally important is how they are bred. There are also multiple health concerns that a good breeder will make an effort to avoid. Allergies are very common in the breed, and related to that, ear infections.Hip and elbow dysplasia are a problem. I have know some WONDERFUL GSDs, and I have met some that were the scariest dogs around. I love the breed, they are so intelligent and loving, but really if you are going to get a puppy, do your research first. There are breeders and then there are good, responsible breeders. Go to a breeder that focuses on health and temperament, does OFA or pennhip checks on BOTH parents, screens for thyroid and other health issues, and has the documentation to back it up. Don't take their word for it. Meet both parents, breeders can be very creative with excuses why they can't show you the parents and usually they are hiding something when they won't let you meet them. When you find this breeder, expect to be grilled about yourself and your family and housing for the dog. A good breeder cares about where the pups end up. Expect to pay several thousand dollars for this good dog, breeding and testing and raising the pups for 8 to 10 weeks isn't cheap. Or, you can go to a reputable rescue that does temperament testing and you can meet the adult dog and know how they turned out.

I have talked to many state troopers as my part of my job and talked to several K9 officers. That dog is trained to be that way on duty. The dog is trained to know when it’s on and off duty. And off duty they are super sweet, playful loyal and protective but not in aggressive manner. But once in a patrol car they know what they’re duty is.

Back
Top Bottom