Are German Shepherds Aggressive...?

They are herding dogs, so prey drive isn't usually a problem. GSD's are extremely loyal but do need early training with an experienced person (training you to train the dog). Also, you must be very careful about the breeding and be sure the dog's hips have been vet checked. BTW, as far as prey drive, my 7 lb Yorkie has more kills under his belt than most big dogs, He's fearless and most of his kills have been larger than he is. My GSD never killed the first thing. I did work with a professional trainer when he was a pup, but they are easy to train b/c they live to please their owner. One more thing, NEVER slap or hit a dog under any circumstances other than life or death. Just my humble opinion.

I have raised an Aussie before... but he is still a little stinker. He always wants to herd our livestock although he has no idea what to do, and he has killed some of our chickens before when he was younger. He's getting older now and mellowing out... but I might invest in puppy training classes if I get a GSD. :)

Hey, everyone! So... for the last 15 years, my parents have been raising Labrador Retrievers... and that's what they've decided to stick with. Let's just say that labs aren't my personal favorite, so I'm wanting to expand my knowledge to other breeds of dogs! So I've really been considering German Shepherds, and the only concern my mom has about it, is she thinks they can be pretty aggressive because they kind of have that reputation being police dogs and such. I have three younger siblings ranging from 7-12, and they're used to all sorts of big dogs, so I don't think they would be a problem... but I think she's most worried about the mailman/UPS/friends/neighbors etc... So are there any very knowledgeable German Shepherd people out there who could tell me if these dogs are actually aggressive? And sure, I know that any dog can be aggressive when treated the wrong way... but if it's raised from a pup the right way, is there still a risk that it could attack someone?

Anyway... thank you for any information! :)

No more risk than with any other breed. Depends on how they're trained, treated, and bred. If one or both of their parents are/were aggressive, the odds increase, but aggressiveness in their pups is not guaranteed.

I own a dog kennel, the only bites we’ve gotten so far are from small 10 pound and under dogs, there are no bad dogs.

Shepherds are police dogs because they are extremely trainable and want to please.

Any breed can be aggressive , but I have found that the rotten dogs have rotten owners

Hey, everyone! So... for the last 15 years, my parents have been raising Labrador Retrievers... and that's what they've decided to stick with. Let's just say that labs aren't my personal favorite, so I'm wanting to expand my knowledge to other breeds of dogs! So I've really been considering German Shepherds, and the only concern my mom has about it, is she thinks they can be pretty aggressive because they kind of have that reputation being police dogs and such. I have three younger siblings ranging from 7-12, and they're used to all sorts of big dogs, so I don't think they would be a problem... but I think she's most worried about the mailman/UPS/friends/neighbors etc... So are there any very knowledgeable German Shepherd people out there who could tell me if these dogs are actually aggressive? And sure, I know that any dog can be aggressive when treated the wrong way... but if it's raised from a pup the right way, is there still a risk that it could attack someone?

Anyway... thank you for any information! :)
I have a German Sheperd, she is the most lovable dog I have ever seen.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    136.4 KB · Views: 5
I own a dog kennel, the only bites we’ve gotten so far are from small 10 pound and under dogs, there are no bad dogs.

Shepherds are police dogs because they are extremely trainable and want to please.

Any breed can be aggressive , but I have found that the rotten dogs have rotten owners
TRUE. I worked in rescue and as a pet sitter - the only two dogs to bite me were both rat terriers and they were not in rescue!

I have a German Wirehaired Pointer. Nice dog, but they have a lot of prey drive, and can be sharp, aloof, distrustful of strangers. Mine isn't. The joke on a podcast about them is "you don't have to lock your car if the Wirehair is in the back seat." He still slammed a door shut and knocked a guy down when he tried to open our door uninvited.

Here's the thing. The dog is only half the equation. The other half is you, and your kids. I've seen dogs that, in the hands of their owner (who is frankly AFRAID of the dog) are awful liabilities, picking fights with every dog it can, etc...I've seen it with labs, I've seen it with German Shepherds, and German Shorthair Pointers, and other breeds, with reputations across the map.

My family had a used Golden Retriever (he was 6 when we got him) like that. He got on mom's sofa (no-no) and had the cojones to growl at her when she told him off. Boy, I don't think he ever saw my mother coming! She jerked a knot in his tail and put some manners in him in a hurry. In three weeks, a neighbor said, "Looks like a different dog!" 3 miles of walks every day, and a leader (mom) that wasn't putting up with his BS.

GSD's are intelligent, protective, and active. Every dog needs a job. Some of them need the dog equivalent of being a Walmart Greeter. GSD's might need the dog equivalent of something more complex. If you don't fill those needs, you might have a bad one.

Every dog needs exercise, obedience/training/job, and love, in varying combinations depending on the breed and individual dog. Just know your ability to provide the first two and you'll be ok.

There is some evidence that temperament can be genetic and then training/nurture fill in the rest of the dog's ultimate personality and behaviors. If you are going to get a puppy, meet the parents and see if they are friendly and well socialized. A puppy's socialization window closes at 12 weeks of age so a breeder who is raising companion pets (versus bomb sniffing or police dogs) hopefully adopts out right at 8 weeks or exposes their pups to a variety of people and animals to reduce fear based aggression.
Hope that helps!

There is a business in my area completely devoted to training German Shepherds. He does do personal protection dogs, and police dogs, but his most numerous clients are people that bought a GSD and weren't prepared for how powerful or wilfull they are. Most of the people resort to seeing Steve after their GSD has severely injured them, usually rotator cuff tears or injuries from falls or being dragged. I used to work at the shop that sold the feed that he recommended to all his customers, so it's not just hearsay. I talked to all of his people for nearly a year and a half and it was always the same, different people. I also dogsit my neighbors GSD and shes a sweet and friendly girl, but she had mauled other dogs and her owner when there was another dog present. You have to be ready for a VERY different dog than a lab.

I purchased an Old Fashioned German Shepherd. They're a little bigger and have a straight back.
Honestly I love this variety over the police version.
He LOVES people. He was very judgemental as a puppy and growled at everyone so it worried me at first. But then he just snapped out of it and loves to jump on people and play. He's almost 2 now and adores to tackle people. He gets so excited he can't contain it.

He loves my goats, but is unsure of smaller animals. He's terrified of toads, and is jumpy around chickens.
I don't know if it's his personality or breed, but he can't be unsupervised or he will run away.
His bark sounds mean and he's a very vocal dog, so most people are afraid of him, when all he's doing is trying to communicate.

The issue is, he's very VERY smart. And he is a HUGE troublemaker. He knows how to act cute and thinks it's funny to be scolded. So when he shreds something he shouldn't and I pop him on the nose, he rolls around and playfully swats me with his paws.
Sometimes he pretends to not hear you as you tell him to come here. Pretty much your average human child :lau

The lady I bought him from breeds them on a farm with Poultry, but I don't ever let him loose around them, I don't trust his prey drive.

So no, my Zeke is not aggressive in any way. He LOVES my mom's shihtzu and they play and chase all the time.

Everything said here is true!
This is my rocky. My DW picked him out but he picked me! His brother came along too, both are different and the brother has become DW Dog! Hers wants to play and will jump and barks abit till you come say hi. Mine will bark and just bark until you come say hi. Both love to play with the neighbors, pit mix. But his owner doesn’t enjoy them all playing! Or barking. Ohhh and true GS have straight backs ours are local breader. East German line. I’m told less hip issues.

Attachments

• E699804E-DE24-4A9A-A1E4-441D1BDCC994.jpeg
    E699804E-DE24-4A9A-A1E4-441D1BDCC994.jpeg
    343.7 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom