Are hens and ducks ok together?

George678

Chirping
May 23, 2021
Hello , usually I put my 15 hens inside the shed for winter but earlier on in the year I hatched some Aylesbury ducks out and they’re about 13 weeks old now and also thinking about bringing them inside as there making a mess due to the weather being so wet . Will they be ok together it’s (quite a spacious shed? Thanks

Hello , usually I put my 15 hens inside the shed for winter but earlier on in the year I hatched some Aylesbury ducks out and they’re about 13 weeks old now and also thinking about bringing them inside as there making a mess due to the weather being so wet . Will they be ok together it’s (quite a spacious shed? Thanks
It is advisable to keep and house them separately.

Chickens don't do well with the mess and humidity ducks create and male ducks/drakes will seriously injure hens when trying to mate.

Really depends on your set-up. I've had chickens and ducks together for years and haven't had any major issues (no injuries). Some things to consider are space, resources, and cleanliness.

Make sure everyone has plenty of space to get away from each other. Lots of boards/branches for the chickens to hop up on helps. It also helps to have a feed/water station raised up off the ground that the ducks can't get to. I've found this to be a good way to make sure the chickens always have clean water; I tried other ways to block the ducks away from the chicken water, but this is the easiest and most effective way for me.

Ducks can use nipple waterers. Giving them a nipple waterer in the coop will help reduce the mess they make with buckets. Also helping to reduce the moisture in the air which can cause frostbite. You can give them buckets outside to clean their nares. I do also have to give mine buckets in the coop during storms/really cold days, but I only fill them about 2/3rds full to keep the mess down.

Back
Top Bottom