Are heritage Barred Rocks worth waiting/paying extra for?

Heritage breeds are more marketing than the strains that meet the guidelines set.
Almost all hatchery Barred Rock large fowl stretch to call any of their breeds Hertiage.
Try The Livestock Conservancy for defining qualities
This is from Meyer's Hatchery.
Screenshot_20210203-092036_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210203-092022_Chrome.jpg

Heritage breeds are more marketing than the strains that meet the guidelines set.
Almost all hatchery Barred Rock large fowl stretch to call any of their breeds Hertiage.
Try The Livestock Conservancy for defining qualities
Internet photos notice size

Attachments

• 48290B0B-A048-4176-A693-ACEBA745EFCA.jpeg
    48290B0B-A048-4176-A693-ACEBA745EFCA.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 16
  • 72E22E3A-1AFE-4370-BD77-9FC24D272EF5.jpeg
    72E22E3A-1AFE-4370-BD77-9FC24D272EF5.jpeg
    42.7 KB · Views: 15
Meyer's is different, so you can't say that about all hatcheries.

Have you seen the birds I posted.
I said almost all hatchery not singling out pro or con on any individual hatchery.
I have never raised any birds from Meyers Hatchery so have no opinion or comment about them.
I still stand behind my comment about almost all hatchery stretches the term heritage.
Appreciate your input on Meyer it gives people a place to purchase Barred Rock.

I said almost all hatchery not singling out pro or con on any individual hatchery.
I have never raised any birds from Meyers Hatchery so have no opinion or comment about them.
I still stand behind my comment about almost all hatchery stretches the term heritage.
Appreciate your input on Meyer it gives people a place to purchase Barred Rock.
It was kind of hard to tell exactly what you meant.

Meyer's carries both Heritage, & Hatchery/pet quality stock in different categories.

Same with their Ameraucanas, & Easter Eggers.

Thanks for all the new replies and pics. The more I see and read, I'm changing my mind about whether she is runt. It seems like she's the same size as what I am seeing online, I just assumed BRs would be bigger. See pics...

1612384794293.png

1612384823488.png

1612384874946.png

I had four hatchery quality Barred Rocks and last spring I got two "Heritage Barred Plymouth Rocks" from My Pet Chicken. The Heritage are gorgeous and laying like crazy. Bigger, rounder, prettier heads and crisp barring compared to the hatchery girls which I think were Cackle. Absolutely worth it. I wish I could find some gold laced Wyandottes half as pretty!

Back
Top Bottom