Are my 20 week hens small for their age ?

alliemegb

In the Brooder
Sep 13, 2016
Maryland
[/IMG]

I did the math from when my chicken arrived at the post office to now. it has been 21 weeks. Do my chickens look to small for their age ? I fed the starter feed and then growers feed up until a couple weeks ago when I started feeding them a layer crumble. I have been looking at 20 week old hens and then are so much bigger compared to mine.

Cute birds!

hide.gif
May I ask what breed(s) they are? It looks like you have a couple of Buff Orpingtons, are the others Lavender?

I do recommend that you go back to feeding grower until they begin to lay eggs. You can then choose to continue to feed an all flock/flock raiser formula with oyster shells free choice or switch back to layer feed.

Buff Orpingtons can be a bit slow to mature and will grow at their own rate. It's hard to compare birds at different stages. As long as they are eating, drinking, pooping and active, don't worry and enjoy them.

In the top pic you have two Buff Orpingtons "the two buff ones", a splash Easter Egger "the blue/gray with darker spots", a Lavender Orpington " the solid darker blue/gray one", and a Salmon Favorelle "the rusty one with cream chest and beard". They do look small for 21 weeks, they should still be on grower feed till they actually start laying.

What was the protein content on the grower? Some grower feeds are specifically for meat birds, and don't have enough protein in it for most breeds. Layer feed is for actively laying birds only.
At 20 weeks old, they should be at their adult size.

I have 4 Orpingtons (a full grown buff orp rooster, 2 buff orp pullets, and lavender orp pullet). One salmon faverolle pullet, and a splash Easter egger pullet.

I was feeding them growers feed with 15% protein. And I will be switching back to it until I see some eggs. They all are acting just fine they eat, poop, drink, and play normally.

I have 4 Orpingtons (a full grown buff orp rooster, 2 buff orp pullets, and lavender orp pullet). One salmon faverolle pullet, and a splash Easter egger pullet.

I was feeding them growers feed with 15% protein. And I will be switching back to it until I see some eggs. They all are acting just fine they eat, poop, drink, and play normally.
15% protein explains it. That's meat bird feed, intended to control their insane growth rate so that they don't die before they are big enough to process. Normal chicken breeds need a minimum of 18% protein to support proper growth and development.

Back
Top Bottom