! Are my 4 human kids at risk from turkey(s) with a "cold"???!

tolsen1

Hatching
10 Years
Jun 15, 2009
Maybe a coincidence, but I have at least one (out of 6) 5 wk old turkey who is sneezing and has a loose green poop. I have 4 very active, curious human kids (9,6,3,1) and two of them started sneezing yesterday. It (or they, it's so hard to tell them apart!) have been sneezing for weeks and I just thought it was something they do. I am noticing it more now along with the green stuff. It has been raining here for 3 days now and I have not been putting the heat lamp on at night. I just went out to do so to warm them up. Im concerned that my kids could pick something up from them? They adore them and are quite entertained by the flock. We also have 6 chicks (6 wks old)....

wow...I sound like Dr. Seuss...six sick chicks tick, ...it's a mom thing!

so, could they get sick from the turkeys as well?

I don't know for sure, but I don't believe your kids have anything to worry about. Now I'm sure someone will chime in here real soon about your sneezing turkey. Have you seperated it from the rest of the flock? I would look into curing it before you lose all your birds. Good luck with it!

I would look into curing it before you lose all your birds. Good luck with it!

how would you treat this kind of thing? We're an organic-minded family ...no antibiotics if necessary.​

post a "help, sick turkey" in the Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures thread, someone will jump in and help you....LOTS of smart folks here ( to bad im not one
tongue.png
)

Last edited:
I don't think your kids are at risk. I was under the impression turkeys had to stay inside for 7 weeks until they develop their immune system? How cold is it there?

Average lately about 70/75 degrees ...lows 50 at night. They're inside our insulated barn at night until we finish the coop.

Allergies? For all of them??? I know dogs get allergies. My chickens seem to be healthy knock on wood so we've not had to deal with any of this kind of thing.

Your turkeys are too young to be without a heat lamp. A chill and they are weakened, which sounds like what it going on. They are not eating, hence the green poop. You need to get them warmed up and eating. If they're on damp soil, there is a chance they've contracted cocci..this time of year is horrible for cocci. Watch for blood in the stools. For now, warm them up and get them on medicated gamebird ration and monitor.

Your human kids probably just have allergies or a cold starting. Any reports of swine flu in your locale? If so, that would warrant a visit to the pediatrician.

What did you do for the turkeys?
How did they ever get?

it is a sinusitis of turkeys and generally needs some strong antibioptics to get them over it

A slow onset chronic respiratory disease of turkeys often with severe sinusitis and associated with Mycoplasma gallisepticum infection. ...

So I was curious if they got over the infection?

email me any questions

Back
Top Bottom