Are my birds EEs?

fluffycrow

Chasing broodies
Premium Feather Member
Jan 12, 2023
Attica Greece
Sooo, back in 2021 I got 10 birds (9 pullets and one cockerel) of a rare landrace breed called Tsouloufati. Right from the start, I noticed some irregularities. While still within "standard" (there isn't one, but most birds look this way) all the hens (except from one) have a lighter color, but then the rooster most definitely is out of standard color wise. Now, since this is a landrace breed I don't stress too much about color, but the main thing is that some of the hens lay light olive and blue eggs, while this breed is supported to lay cream eggs (which some of mine do). So a sane person would say I got scammed, and they gave me EEs/legbar based mixes. Thing is, this hatchery does not have legbars so it doesn't make sense as to how I could end up with legbar mixes. Apart from the egg color, they match perfectly their breeds description of temperament, the only thing i could say is off with them is the fact that they dont go broody, while this is a (supposedly) super broody breed. Im not a genetics whiz by any means, so if someone can explain to me how my birds are the way they are, I'd greatly appreciate it
20230311_130639.jpg
20230311_132128.jpg
20230211_144413.jpg
20230211_144428.jpg

If the hatchery doesn't have legbars, you didn't get legbar crosses from them.

That being said, most people define an EE as any bird that has the potential to lay colored eggs and doesn't match a breed's standard.

I am not finding any information on that land race on the internet, but if they are supposed to lay cream eggs and some are laying green eggs, that indicates that they either have adulterated stock as breeders, or you were sold something else. They don't look particularly like Legbars to me, though. No crests in any of them, and they mostly have white legs.

I would contact the hatchery and ask them why some lay green eggs. There might give an explanation.

I am not finding any information on that land race on the internet, but if they are supposed to lay cream eggs and some are laying green eggs, that indicates that they either have adulterated stock as breeders, or you were sold something else. They don't look particularly like Legbars to me, though. No crests in any of them, and they mostly have white legs.

I would contact the hatchery and ask them why some lay green eggs. There might give an explanation.

I'm not surprised you haven't found anything online, this breed is practically unknown even here, it's home country. Actually, at least 3 of the birds in the pictures are crested, one of then being the rooster, but they're small in comparison to a regular crest. It doesn't also help that they don't like sitting still

I'm not surprised you haven't found anything online, this breed is practically unknown even here, it's home country. Actually, at least 3 of the birds in the pictures are crested, one of then being the rooster, but they're small in comparison to a regular crest. It doesn't also help that they don't like sitting still
Maybe there is new blood naturally infiltrating the land race? I don't know. I would just enjoy them for what they are at this point, and see what the hatchery has to say. They are attractively marked birds.

Maybe there is new blood naturally infiltrating the land race? I don't know. I would just enjoy them for what they are at this point, and see what the hatchery has to say. They are attractively marked birds.

Thank you, I think so too! I'll probably keep them and see what they produce, if their offspring are within the standard as well or even improve, then I'll keep referring to them as Tsouloufates. If weird things pop up, I'll probably switch to the mix breed label. Don't know how truthful the hatchery will be, but I'll give it a try

If the hatchery doesn't have legbars, you didn't get legbar crosses from them.

That being said, most people define an EE as any bird that has the potential to lay colored eggs and doesn't match a breed's standard.

But for them to lay colored eggs a colored laying breed was added into their bloodline at some point right?

OK final update most likely. I recently learned from some family that lives across the country that their landrace hens are also laying green and blue eggs. We jeep the same breed, my birds are a little more pure though. So for now I'm going to consider those egg colors within standard and call it a day

Back
Top Bottom