1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are my chickens eating their own eggs?! Help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dodgewoman, Oct 2, 2012.

1. dodgewoman

dodgewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    What the heck is going on here? The past Friday and weekend my DD has been getting the eggs. Right number that we have always gotten but one was always cracked. I figured she wasn't being careful. Sunday my DH found an egg under the coop which is odd b/c they have NEVER laid and egg there but I figured eh, first time for everything. Yesterday my son said he found no eggs after school(when they get off the bus at 4 this is when they go get the eggs for the day). I didn't believe him but was busy so I figured I go and collect 2 days worth this morning. I go and found TWO eggs. I should have had 8-12! I got distracted with my youngest and figured I'd get the two eggs later. Well, I put her down for a nap and went to go get the eggs, They are no where to be found! Nothing! I am now going on two days with out eggs!! I'm super upset. Would the chickens even eat their own eggs?! They are not out of food. I have been locking them up in the run more b/c we have lost a few to predetors so maybe they are bored? It's either that or my **** dog is some how getting to them but I don't really see how that's possible. Yesterday I did let the chickens out of the run before the kids came home to collect the eggs. Some do lay in the corner near the door but at least two always lay in the nest boxes and there is no way my dog could get to the nest boxes. My EE's are the ones that have always laid in the next boxes and today I found those two eggs in the corner one of which was blue which I thought was odd. Are they rolling them around to play with them? Then maybe the crack and they eat them? I just don't get it. How the heck do I stop this!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by