Are My Chickens Sick?!

HappyClucker7

Bantam Queen
7 Years
Apr 28, 2016
New York
So, my chickens started their first seasonal molt in October, but now it's May and none of them have grown any feathers back. My RIR's seem to be losing more and more feathers. Especially my smallest chicken Penny. The others just have this bald patch near their tails. Except for one of my BR's, she never even started molting!

What could be wrong with my girls? I've been giving them plenty of protien. Are they sick? What can I do for them?

Thanks!

Layer feed has just enough protein for egg production, but not quite enough to regrow feathers during molt. Switching to a higher protein feed, like unmedicated starter or flock raiser will help them regrow their feathers, and put a stop to any feathering picking that may be caused by protein deficiencies.

I don't think protien could be the problem. I have been feeding them meat, fish, and mealworms to boost their protien levels. But I guess trying the flock starter won't hurt. I'm starting to become desperate!

Have you checked them for lice/ mites? Are they doing dust baths? Mites are harder to determine than lice.

Could also be chickens pecking each other. I've had issues with younger pullets plucking tail feathers to the point of bleeding. And it can happen fast!

I've found feeding your chickens scrambled eggs can help cure a lot of what ails them, lots of protein and other good stuff. How are they laying? Normal?

Back
Top Bottom