Are My Chickens Sick?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HappyClucker7, May 2, 2017.

1. HappyClucker7

HappyClucker7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2016
    So, my chickens started their first seasonal molt in October, but now it's May and none of them have grown any feathers back. My RIR's seem to be losing more and more feathers. Especially my smallest chicken Penny. The others just have this bald patch near their tails. Except for one of my BR's, she never even started molting!

What could be wrong with my girls? I've been giving them plenty of protien. Are they sick? What can I do for them?

Thanks!

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    What are you feeding? Do you have any roosters?

3. HappyClucker7

Apr 28, 2016
    Thanks for your fast answer! I don't have any roosters and I am feeding them Purina Layer Pellets.

4. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Layer feed has just enough protein for egg production, but not quite enough to regrow feathers during molt. Switching to a higher protein feed, like unmedicated starter or flock raiser will help them regrow their feathers, and put a stop to any feathering picking that may be caused by protein deficiencies.

5. HappyClucker7

Apr 28, 2016
    I don't think protien could be the problem. I have been feeding them meat, fish, and mealworms to boost their protien levels. But I guess trying the flock starter won't hurt. I'm starting to become desperate!

6. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    But how much extra protein? Daily? A few ounces, once a week is not going to much to help.

7. MCRanch

MCRanch New Egg

Apr 27, 2017
    Tennessee
    Have you checked them for lice/ mites? Are they doing dust baths? Mites are harder to determine than lice.

Could also be chickens pecking each other. I've had issues with younger pullets plucking tail feathers to the point of bleeding. And it can happen fast!

I've found feeding your chickens scrambled eggs can help cure a lot of what ails them, lots of protein and other good stuff. How are they laying? Normal?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by