are my chickens to cold? why are they dying?

rockhill

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 29, 2008
Lake Creek, Oregon
I have 2 month old chickens they are rhode islands and I put them in the big coop because they were out growing there brooder. But I've lost 2 since they appear lethargic and cant keep balance then they die. It gets about 50 degrees at night and they are in a enclosed area. could they be to cold or could it be something else? I was told they would be ok at this age without a heat lamp as I have no power to my coop at this time. Are there any other ways to keep them warm at night?
sad.png

They are sick. They've caught a disease. Lots of water w/ vitamins. Maybe milk. Get them on some antibiotics ASAP.

What kinda disease could it be? I give them vitamins and will get some antibiotics. They were vaccinated before I got them not sure for what. How do I keep them from getting sick.

Chances are they were vaccinated for Merek's disease -- that's the most common vaccine given to day-old chicks, esp. if you got them from a hatchery.

I'm sorry for your loss... good luck!!

Rockhill, I'm sorry for your losses. At 8 weeks old your chicks should be able to handle 50 degrees at night. I would look for something else in their enviroment causing the problem and not jump the gun to disease right off. You need to know what's causing the problem and if it's a disease what kind before you'd know which antibiotic to use.
Please tell us a little bit more about your set-up. 1.) what are you feeding them? 2.) what are you using for bedding in the coop? 3.) are there any other symptoms besides lethargy and balance problems? any sneezing or nasal drainage? 4.) were there other birds kept in the area where your chickens now live?

We have our chicks in a out building we turned into a coop, they are still on the starter and I lost another one this morning I havn't noticed any nasal drainage in the chicks and im at a total loss as to what's going on. I noticed mice droppings this morning and I know that could be a problem. I dont want to lose another chick. I just dont know what could be wrong.We have used large pine shavings since they arrived and haven't had a problem.

Last edited:
What do their stools look like? Could be cocci at that age and the sudden shock of cool temps, which stresses the body.

The mice are definitely a problem as they are disease vectors. I would work on a solution for that as well.

Jody

Back
Top Bottom