1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are my chicks defective?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NorTracNY, May 22, 2008.

1. NorTracNY

NorTracNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Macedon, NY
    My 3 week old chicks don't seem to like treats. I keep hearing people talk about their chicks going crazy over some treats. I am feeding them grit. I've tried bits of chives, grapes, dandelions, and tops of celery. They have picked up and dropped a few pieces, but they haven't eaten anything. Am I giving them the wrong stuff or are they defective? [​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It takes time for them to get used to new food. Eventually they will get it. Boiled egg is often a hit though.

3. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Quote:Do you need to give them grit when giving them boiled egg?

4. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    The first treat mine responded well to was spagetti. I do believe they should have grit as soon as they are eating anything other than chick starter.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Can you find a few worms or maybe some crickets? Or cook and chop them some hard-boiled egg. Some people swear their chicks love cheerios, but mine are only mildly interested in them. Their #1 favorite treat is millet, found in the pet bird dept. in stores. I give them very little, but you can tell they wish there was more. I always remove the stripped stem after they pick it clean after I had to remove a stem from one little piggy-chicken that tried to swallow it.

6. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Quote:Great information, along with the idea about spagetti. I want my chickens to adore me, or at least tolerate me. Right now there are two that think lap chicken might be a good idea.

I told DH that we need to start raising meal worms again for his fish and my chicks. Maybe this weekend we will get that set up.

7. WrenAli

WrenAli Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Lebanon, OR
    My 5 week olds are not fond of treats either. I give them yogurt and they look offended.

[​IMG]

8. chickenshadow

chickenshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    Iowa
    We start handfeeding our chicks almost immediately. By two weeks old they
    jump into my hands looking for treats.

Note:Only chick food is good for the first week. Then you can give them
    ground oatmeal, white rice, pasta, etc...

9. catfish

catfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Greenbrier, Arkansas
    My older chicks love tortillas. They also love clover, they wasn't real fond of rye bread.

10. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    My chicks thought I was trying to POISON them first time I put something in for them, their first treat was a slice of Butternut to peck at - you would not BELIEVE the dirty looks they gave me [​IMG]
    By the next morning there was a hole in the center of the slice and they were running around taking turns holding it and screaming! [​IMG]

Next was spaghetti - and again they looked at me like I was trying to bump them off......

Silly chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by