Are my ducks insane?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by shane68, Oct 29, 2012.

1. shane68

shane68 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2012
    I have 7 pekins. They stay for the most part in a 15x30 pen. I occasionally allow them to wander about. I recently built them a 6x6x 8 high house. The only time they use the house is to go in and eat and occasionally lay eggs. We are currently experiencing the effects of hurricane sandy here in ohio, it is about 40 degrees and pouring rain, and those ducks wont stay in the house. Yhey are huddled up in the middle of their pen. Is this normal for pekins? or are my ducks a little loony?

2. Funniducki1

Funniducki1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2011
    This is perfectly normal!! LOL. Ducks hate being locked up indoors unless there is crazy wind (which they hate) or hail (which they hate worse). Even in the -20 temps, they will be huddled outside, kept warm thanks to their amazing feather system and down. THey have feather coverts that they tuck they feet up into and use the snow as insulation. They remind me of Malamute dogs in the Alaska sled teams.
    They will go in when the need arises--they already are using it for eggs, and that's an accomplishment on their part! :)

3. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    LOL, yes, you are lucky that they are laying in it. I built my ducks an insulated house and they only go in it to lay or if it's hailing. Everything else - they are outside. :)

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Sounds about right, although i have a few who are quite fond of their shelter(mini barn) and will go inside at sunset. Just depends on the birds, the key is they have the option which is important they know when to go in.

5. fowl farm

fowl farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2012
    Yes. All ducks are.

My ducks won't go in their house unless it's time for bed.

6. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Mine only go inside at night, to lay, or if there is a hawk or something scary flying about. Otherwise they are lounging outside somewhere

7. Mike Winters

Mike Winters Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    this is why it's called duck weather. they don't want it to stop raining

8. new2ducks

new2ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2012
    Colorado
    we had a wet,heavy snow a week ago and my ducks were out in it! It was about 27 out and I was worried about them and even went out and they were drinking slushy water and just flapping their wings and having a great time!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by