Are my ducks insane?

shane68

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 10, 2012
I have 7 pekins. They stay for the most part in a 15x30 pen. I occasionally allow them to wander about. I recently built them a 6x6x 8 high house. The only time they use the house is to go in and eat and occasionally lay eggs. We are currently experiencing the effects of hurricane sandy here in ohio, it is about 40 degrees and pouring rain, and those ducks wont stay in the house. Yhey are huddled up in the middle of their pen. Is this normal for pekins? or are my ducks a little loony?

This is perfectly normal!! LOL. Ducks hate being locked up indoors unless there is crazy wind (which they hate) or hail (which they hate worse). Even in the -20 temps, they will be huddled outside, kept warm thanks to their amazing feather system and down. THey have feather coverts that they tuck they feet up into and use the snow as insulation. They remind me of Malamute dogs in the Alaska sled teams.
They will go in when the need arises--they already are using it for eggs, and that's an accomplishment on their part! :)

LOL, yes, you are lucky that they are laying in it. I built my ducks an insulated house and they only go in it to lay or if it's hailing. Everything else - they are outside. :)

Sounds about right, although i have a few who are quite fond of their shelter(mini barn) and will go inside at sunset. Just depends on the birds, the key is they have the option which is important they know when to go in.

Mine only go inside at night, to lay, or if there is a hawk or something scary flying about. Otherwise they are lounging outside somewhere

we had a wet,heavy snow a week ago and my ducks were out in it! It was about 27 out and I was worried about them and even went out and they were drinking slushy water and just flapping their wings and having a great time!

Back
Top Bottom