Are My EEs Sex Linked???

FreedomFarm13

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 20, 2015
Arkansas
Hi everybody!! I've posted this a couple of places but haven't gotten any responses yet, so I was hoping someone here could help. I just hatched out six sweet little EEs from my own flock. The father is my wheaten Ameraucana cock and the mother is one of my SLWs. I think I may have ended up with sex linked chicks! Four of them have well defined chipmunk markings and eyeliner, and also have brown in their down, while two have very blurry, smudged looking chipmunk markings, little to no eyeliner, and no brown in their down. Would this support the idea that a gold based cock over silver based hens would produce gold based pullets and silver based cockerels? I took a couple pics of the differences for you all to see...

Here is a suspected girl. Note the eyeliner and strong chipmunk markings with brown in the down:

And here's a suspected boy. No eyeliner, blurry chipmunk markings, and appears to be silver based with no brown in the down:

So what do you all think? Are these sex linked chicks? I certainly think they are, but I'm no expert, so I was hoping someone here, perhaps with more experience with sex links could help me. Any and all opinions are welcome! I'm having fun trying to figure this out!!

Last edited:
They should be sexlinked, but it might take a few hatches for you to get really good at spotting the differences in the down. It's not the eyeliner or the brown markings that you should be looking at. It's the color of the 'unmarked' parts that you need to be looking at. The bottom chick is male. That pale yellow/white down means silver. You can even see the black and white color scheme starting on the wing feathers. The first one might be male. The down doesn't appear to be golden, but more of a pale yellow. You're going to have to wait and see how it feathers in.

Back
Top Bottom