ARE MY EGGS FERTILE

Old Man Tom

Songster
May 31, 2016
So I have hens and I have a rooster with my hens. One rooster with six hens. My hens are laying eggs. I want to hatch eggs. Before I put them in the incubator I would like to know they are fertile. I have seen the pictures of fertile egg with the bulls-eye. Is this what I am looking for? I have cracked 4 eggs and no bulls-eye. Does the bull-eye show on the first day or do I need to wait longer to check for fertility? I do not want to put eggs in the incubator that are not fertile. How can know for sure? Marans eggs very dark, would be hard to candle Do I just put them in the incubator and wait 7 days and candle? Tom

I have been taking photos of my yolks and posting here. What I thought was not a bulls eye, they say is so maybe post a picture and see what the gang here thinks??

I'd wait for 24 hours or so before cracking them open as it does take a little while to develop a definite bullseye.

Some breeders wait a number of days before 'candling' the eggs. Basically, dark room plus a really strong flashlight. I'd think somewhere between day 7 to day 10.

Some breeders wait a number of days before 'candling' the eggs. Basically, dark room plus a really strong flashlight. I'd think somewhere between day 7 to day 10.

That's if they are being incubated. OP is not yet incubating his eggs.

@Old Man Tom, you should be able to tell if the egg is fertile by looking at either the blastodisc (not fertile, looks more like a large white grain of salt imbedded in the yolk) or the blastoderm (more of a donut shape, flatter in appearance.) When you crack the egg into a bowl, you may need to flip the yolk over with a spoon to find the spot. (it may be on the bottom of the yolk.)

That's if they are being incubated. OP is not yet incubating his eggs.

@Old Man Tom, you should be able to tell if the egg is fertile by looking at either the blastodisc (not fertile, looks more like a large white grain of salt imbedded in the yolk) or the blastoderm (more of a donut shape, flatter in appearance.) When you crack the egg into a bowl, you may need to flip the yolk over with a spoon to find the spot. (it may be on the bottom of the yolk.)
Thank you so much, very good answer. We will be flipping eggs and making Omlets! TOM

Back
Top Bottom