Are my girls in trouble??

I have 6 Pekins, 3 boys and 3 girls. Then in with them I have a lone Ancona female that we rescued. The Pekins seemed to have paired up. So far we haven't had any problems but if I have to add a few more girls, that's not a problem. We also have 6 Runners, 4 females and 2 males.

Laurie

Quote:
Well chicken wire has to be better than people that use only netting, or those who free range their ducks. I love my duck house and if something like that ever happens, at least I know I tried my best to keep them safe. Right now I have plastic shrink wrap on the run so it blocks out the wind and snow. Nothing has even tampered with the plastic.

Quote:
Well chicken wire has to be better than people that use only netting, or those who free range their ducks. I love my duck house and if something like that ever happens, at least I know I tried my best to keep them safe. Right now I have plastic shrink wrap on the run so it blocks out the wind and snow. Nothing has even tampered with the plastic.

Yep!

Up until today I only had chicken-wire around my yard and let mine yard range during the day. Then I lost one to a coyote or raccoon (not sure which) and now I have electric around the yard. I knew it was bound to happen
sad.png
Your set up is much stronger than what mine was, but I wanted to make sure you understood the strength of a raccoon.

Oh yeah I do. Those things are strong, nasty, and smart! They can break into just about anything! Im sorry to hear about your loss. Thats terrible. We have both coyotes and raccoons here but at least they are safe from coyotes lol. It makes me sick when I hear the coyotes kill something in the woods around me, and do their happy cheer. My 100% indoor, fully declawed cat was missing for nearly a week once, and I thought it was him they were eating every time they would do it. It's a terrible feeling. Luckily he came home though.

Last edited:
I'm so glad your cat got home. We only got foxes and the odd bird of prey here thank goodness. But the fox comes round every night. He sometimes leaves prints round the duck hut but hasn't cracked the padlock yet. I wish my ducks would yell for me when the fox is near the way they yell when they want peas. I'd out there in a shot. In fact I'm out there a coupla times most nights just in case!!
I bet I would love your ducks even when they disgusting. My Doogie is pretty much always rollin in muck lol. I love him allllll the same. Acutally here on the island I don't think it's anything like as cold as you guys have it in America but the ice on the pool was super thick this morning and started to freeze about an hour after I broke it. Plus when I picked up Mr. Snoogles, his belly was kinda crunchy where he'd been sitting in the water bowl and it was turning to ice. Poor little things. I've never wanted spring so much!!!

Quote:
Thank you! I was a wreck until he got home. It didnt help that I was very pregnant when this happened, and my cat Salem Jade was my only baby at the time. We have Foxes too. My neighbor, actually the one mentioned above, said that a Fox was at my front door at 5am trying to figure out how to get in after I hatched my ducks. He must have smelled them all the way outside from my garage.

Yeah I love them, even when dirty, but the boys have been picking on one of my only 2 girls so now I'm frustrated with the boys! I saw your video a little while ago, very pretty ducks! Ive been wanting to show my ducks snow and let them out of their coop but havent had time. Im hoping today is the day! My 3 year old hates the cold so its hard to get him outside lol.

Back
Top Bottom