are my guineas laying??

Quailgirlie

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 16, 2012
Binbrook, ontario
Hi folks!

I've been getting these funny little eggs in my coop, on my standard side of the coop (the bantams and two younger guineas are separated in different area).
So are these guinea eggs?

On a side note, is sexing guineas by their call (the buckwheat call for females) an accurate method? Everywhere I have read says yes, but one of our local *chicken friends* thinks it is not accurate and he guesses sex by their horns and wattles (don't think theyre called wattles, what are they called?).. anyway according to his method we have Many males but most of our guineas make the buckwheat sound except two of 8 or 9 guineas.

Thanks again!!!

Last edited:
Yep. Those are guinea eggs. Congratulations!!! And your neighbor has it backwards - only the females make the two-syllable call, and if you see a guinea "buck-wheating" it's a female. The wattles (that's correct) and casques (the "horn") can differentiate a male from a female, but that a isn't reliable method. You're lucky to have so many females.

Are you going to hatch out eggs or make omelets - or both?

Oh that's great, it was a long wait from keets to laying!!
We do want to hatch out eggs. We actually noticed a broody hen has two guinea eggs underneath her along with her chicken eggs so we may have a keet or two! I haven't eaten any yet but I gave two dozen eggs to a friend and he commented on the funny shaped extremely tough to crack eggs, I didn't even notice when I put them in the carton, anyway he said they were delicious!

I must've wrote it funny, that is what I meant that the females make the buckwheat call. So I'm glad we have so Many females. My fiance is wanting to hatch out keets to grow for eating (poor little guys).

Yep. Those are guinea eggs. Congratulations!!! And your neighbor has it backwards - only the females make the two-syllable call, and if you see a guinea "buck-wheating" it's a female. The wattles (that's correct) and casques (the "horn") can differentiate a male from a female, but that a isn't reliable method. You're lucky to have so many females.

Are you going to hatch out eggs or make omelets - or both?
X2. Males never make the buck-wheat call. Wattles and casque size can vary from bloodline to bloodline, bird to bird. Some breeders are now breeding specifically for small flat wattles in both sexes. And actually the size of the casque is more indicative of the age rather than the sex. Neither feature are an accurate indication of what sex they are.

I think your chicken friend better stick to sexing Roosters and Hens, lol.

Congrats on your first eggs.

Thank you!!!

And yes our chicken/poultry friend often tells us things that I am weary about so I take things people say with a grain of salt and generally research myself.
And backyard chickens forum is absolutely great for all questions!! So Many knowledgeable, friendly folks on here!!!

Back
Top Bottom