Are my hens done producing eggs?

TinaTot

In the Brooder
Dec 16, 2016
Pennsylvania
Hi all, newbie here :)

I have two auracanas who were given to me by a friend when I first started raising chickens early in 2016. She also had been given them from a friend before me, so basically we have a swap going on. Needless to say, Both of the ladies have an unknown age.

In summertime they both were laying beautiful blue eggs daily, and then once July-august hit, one stopped laying completely and the other was phasing out-- even found an egg or two in the yard and in the tree line. Once august ended, neither chicken has laid an egg since.

They both went through a time where they loooked like they were partially molting, but never lost too many feathers. Their butts look good, fluffy and clean, and they still roam and eat with the other chickens.

Since it's gotten cold this past month, both spend a good bit of time together in the coop on the roost, not really going outside a ton.

Needless to say, it has been about 4 months since the eggs have stopped-- I'm kind of thinking that they are done.

Thoughts?

Many older hens slow way down on production. If you don't have supplemental light in your coop then it's fairly normal for laying to stop or slow way down in the winter. Even with light, I have many older hens that hardly lay in the winter...to be honest, I have some that simply hardly lay anyway.
wink.png

My guess is that they'll pick up laying again in the spring....maybe even sooner if you add light. Some breeds don't lay much in the winter regardless of light, though.

Hi and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us. You have some good advice from SIMZ, so i will just say a big hello.

Best wishes
CT

Hello there, and my warmest welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am so glad you decided to join the community and I do hope you will make yourself at home here! :frow

G’Day from down under TinaTot
frow.gif
Welcome!

As you have already received some helpful information I will just add that I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom