Are my Lavender Orpingtons Pullets?

Pics

zmelli

In the Brooder
7 Years
6 Years
Jan 23, 2013
I just got these 2 nice Lavender Orpingtons. I am sure they are pullets but just wanted to make sure. I think they are about 2 1/2 months old. I don't see any saddle feathers but I could be wrong. Any suggestions would be appreciated. (Click on pictures to make them bigger.)

Last edited:
I think both are roos, sorry
hide.gif

Well I saw a definite Lavender Orpington rooster the same age and he had a larger comb and waddles and had saddle feathers coming in. I am sure these are pullets. I traded these for a Blue Orpington I got that turned out to be a cockerel.

I just got these 2 nice Lavender Orpingtons. I am sure they are pullets but just wanted to make sure. I think they are about 2 1/2 months old. I don't see any saddle feathers but I could be wrong. Any suggestions would be appreciated. (Click on pictures to make them bigger.) [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR]
I agree with the other posters. I actually have a pair that are 12 weeks and you can defiantly tell cockerel from pullet. You have cockerels. Sorry:(

lav orps can be tricky. My neighbour had some and he was sure he had two roosters and six hens. Turned out he had four rooster and two hens but the last two roosters to mature just took a long time to mature.

I am leaning towards roosters with your two but it is still too early to tell. They could be slow growing roos or could be hens. I hope they are hens.

Another thing that makes me believe these are roosters is that I can't imagine why anyone would trade two lavender orp hens for a blue orp rooster. It just doesn't make sense.

because the person sold me the blue one as a pullet but it ended up being a roo, and the only
thing older that she had were these 2 pullets and it is easier to integrate them if there are 2 instead of 1. I saw the lavendar roo that was with these 2 and you could definately tell it was a roo, standing tall and larger redder comb and wattles. These 2 sure are acting "girly"
but if they too end up being roos, then they will just go back to the breeder and they will
have to trade until we get it right.

gotcha. I hope they are pullets. it can be hard to tell at that age with the lav orps, at least in my experience. The ones my neighbor had seemed to grow real slow.

Back
Top Bottom