are my new juvenile birds sick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kbh913, Jan 13, 2014.

1. kbh913

kbh913 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2013
    Everyone has been so helpful on this board helping identify our first disaster of getting all roos instead of pullets. We just received our new juvenile birds from Murray McMurray and am nervous about 2 of them. 2 of the birds we got last Wednesday are Australorp between 15-22 weeks old. They were slightly smaller than the other juvenile birds we got in the same order (though different breeds). I did notice the one had much sparser looking feathers around the vent and maybe some poop or something stuck - assumed just from being in the box for 24 hours. Today I notice the feathers still look more sparse in the back side of them both and the tail feathers look a little beaten up. I also heard one of them have a slight cough three times today. Any ideas? These are the only real symptoms I can tell at this point.
    Thanks so much!

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The missing feathers could be due to picking by other birds. Do any of them appear to be pecking at the others' feathers? The stress of shipping could have caused them to start picking at each other. Check for mites and lice too-- these parasites can have feather loss.

As for the coughing, if it is only occaisonal, and they seem healthy otherwise, it may be due to dust. However, if they begin to show other symptoms (like sneezing, discharge from nostrils, swollen face, etc), they may have a respiratory disease.

3. kbh913

Dec 15, 2013
    Thanks! They were shipped with the divider between them, so no picking in shipping and no one is really bothering them in the coop either - I have a chicken cam to spy on them all day:)
    I will try and check for mites etc. in the morning. They don't seem to be picking at themselves either.
    Thanks again!

4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    The cough concerns me. Really keep a eye out for respitory symptoms of illness such as coughing sneezing swelling eyes mucus listen closely to the breathing for any signs of wheezing.chickens are very good at masking symptoms of illness by nature. If the cough continues or any wheezing or above symptoms I might consider treating. For respiratory symptoms I use tylan50 injectable. I like it better than water soluble because dose is much more constant and not dependant on amount drank. Dosing would be for large birds 1/2 cc for small birds 1/4 cc given once daily into the beast muscle. For five days. Some respitory illnesses are viruses and antibiotics won't kill a virus but WILL prevent deadly secondary infections. The only way to know if it's viral is through testing. Many poultry owners have been very successful including myself in treating respitory symptoms with tylan50. Even if it's viral the tylan50 will prevent a secondary infection. So I'd watch closely and if the cough continues I would consider treating with tylan50. Especially if you notice wheezing or mucus. So for now keep a close watch and if things progress or worsen then I would start treatment.i do hope this is helpful.

5. kbh913

Dec 15, 2013
    What is considered a large bird and what is a considered small? Also, I have never injected anyone or thing - any good tips on how to do that?

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Good question... this is why it's best to weigh each bird and dose it according to it's weight in mg/kg, just like a vet would do.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by