Are my welsh Harlequin ducks purebreds?

newgirlforsure

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2016
I bought welsh Harlequin ducks from a hatchery. They were hatched April 11th. The female has a yellow beak. Is she not supposed to have a slate beak? I'll try attach a picture

I don'tknow anything about ducks. These are my first. I tried to find information online about showing them. My 8 ywar old entered them into the fsir and we were one of the only ducks that didn't place. What are judges looking for. What is good conformation?

They could be pure-bred with faults. Both are way too light for regular harlequin coloring, and you're right, the female should have a dark bill and feet.

That said, I think they are gorgeous. I love the lighter coloring, especially on the hen.

Yea when i look at pictures of welsh Harlequin they look nothing like it. I may try a different hatchery next year.

If you are interested in getting good show birds I suggest you try to find a breeder. The birds hatcheries sell are pure but they don't give as much consideration to following breed standard. Don't get me wrong, they are often great birds. I have three WH from Metzer myself and love them but they aren't to standard. On the other hand, a good breeder will be selective about which birds they keep for breeding. They will only pick those that match the breed standard. Here is a description https://livestockconservancy.org/index.php/heritage/internal/welshharlequin.

If you can't find a breeder I think the hatchery that would give you thr best chance of show quality would be Holderread Waterfowl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomine

If you are interested in getting good show birds I suggest you try to find a breeder. The birds hatcheries sell are pure but they don't give as much consideration to following breed standard. Don't get me wrong, they are often great birds. I have three WH from Metzer myself and love them but they aren't to standard. On the other hand, a good breeder will be selective about which birds they keep for breeding. They will only pick those that match the breed standard. Here is a description https://livestockconservancy.org/index.php/heritage/internal/welshharlequin.

If you can't find a breeder I think the hatchery that would give you thr best chance of show quality would be Holderread Waterfowl.

thanks! that is a good idea! I found somebody at the fair that has beautiful welsh harlequins! I almost cried they were so perfect. I will see if he has any for sale. Even if i could get some fertile eggs. I just want a few hens as pets for eggs.

Last edited:

Your duck is beautiful! I love her dark beak! That is my favorite thing about the welsh hens, is the slate beak!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom