Are my welsh Harlequin ducks purebreds?

newgirlforsure

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2016
I bought welsh Harlequin ducks from a hatchery. They were hatched April 11th. The female has a yellow beak. Is she not supposed to have a slate beak? I'll try attach a picture

newgirlforsure

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2016

newgirlforsure

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2016
I don'tknow anything about ducks. These are my first. I tried to find information online about showing them. My 8 ywar old entered them into the fsir and we were one of the only ducks that didn't place. What are judges looking for. What is good conformation?

Senna95

Songster
9 Years
Apr 6, 2010
Woodland
They could be pure-bred with faults. Both are way too light for regular harlequin coloring, and you're right, the female should have a dark bill and feet.

That said, I think they are gorgeous. I love the lighter coloring, especially on the hen.

newgirlforsure

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2016
Yea when i look at pictures of welsh Harlequin they look nothing like it. I may try a different hatchery next year.

lomine

Crowing
6 Years
Aug 7, 2015
Peyton, CO
If you are interested in getting good show birds I suggest you try to find a breeder. The birds hatcheries sell are pure but they don't give as much consideration to following breed standard. Don't get me wrong, they are often great birds. I have three WH from Metzer myself and love them but they aren't to standard. On the other hand, a good breeder will be selective about which birds they keep for breeding. They will only pick those that match the breed standard. Here is a description https://livestockconservancy.org/index.php/heritage/internal/welshharlequin.

If you can't find a breeder I think the hatchery that would give you thr best chance of show quality would be Holderread Waterfowl.

newgirlforsure

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by lomine

If you are interested in getting good show birds I suggest you try to find a breeder. The birds hatcheries sell are pure but they don't give as much consideration to following breed standard. Don't get me wrong, they are often great birds. I have three WH from Metzer myself and love them but they aren't to standard. On the other hand, a good breeder will be selective about which birds they keep for breeding. They will only pick those that match the breed standard. Here is a description https://livestockconservancy.org/index.php/heritage/internal/welshharlequin.

If you can't find a breeder I think the hatchery that would give you thr best chance of show quality would be Holderread Waterfowl.

thanks! that is a good idea! I found somebody at the fair that has beautiful welsh harlequins! I almost cried they were so perfect. I will see if he has any for sale. Even if i could get some fertile eggs. I just want a few hens as pets for eggs.

Last edited:

newgirlforsure

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2016

Your duck is beautiful! I love her dark beak! That is my favorite thing about the welsh hens, is the slate beak!

Last edited:

Top Bottom