Welsh Harlequin Duck

Charlie Stuart

In the Brooder
Mar 14, 2023
I am possibly going to be getting a pair of Welsh harlequin Ducks (Male and Female) can they be kept with chickens? I was told some Male Breeds of duck could injure hens if they try and mate with them. If anyone has had experience with these duck in the past, please let me know.
Thank you

i don’t know of any breeds of duck that the drakes are not a danger to chicken hens. i have ducks and chickens together i have a couple welsh harlequins in the mix but i don’t have any males.
i i’ve read that some people have ducks and chickens together including a drake in the mix, but the Drake has at least five or six duck hens to keep him busy so he doesn’t mount the chicken hens.
The thing is roosters do not have a penis, so chicken hens are not equipped for one and drakes have them, so the chickens get injured and even killed, I have a friend who lost two chickens because of her Drake

I have 4 drakes who range with the chickens, but I also have 21 female ducks and the chickens have roosters looking out for them. They all keep to their own kind. With only 1 female, your drake might take more of an interest in the chickens. I'd either keep them separate or get more females.

I have 4 drakes who range with the chickens, but I also have 21 female ducks and the chickens have roosters looking out for them. They all keep to their own kind. With only 1 female, your drake might take more of an interest in the chickens. I'd either keep them separate or get more females.
ok thank you will the drake only mount the hens during the spring?

Their drive is much higher in the spring, but they will often still mate year-round, especially the younger drakes.
hum... are ducks just as likely to get killed by a hawk? I have a chicken run and i could let them out an about, but I have lost chickens that way before also would a drake and duck hen be ok to by housed with geese?

hum... are ducks just as likely to get killed by a hawk? I have a chicken run and i could let them out an about, but I have lost chickens that way before also would a drake and duck hen be ok to by housed with geese?
Yes, ducks can also be taken by hawks. Welsh Harlequins are a great breed, but being small and light-colored, they could definitely catch a hawk's eye.

I think ducks and geese usually do well together, but I have never had geese so maybe someone who has can answer with more certainty!

Yes, ducks can also be taken by hawks. Welsh Harlequins are a great breed, but being small and light-colored, they could definitely catch a hawk's eye.

I think ducks and geese usually do well together, but I have never had geese so maybe someone who has can answer with more certainty!
I know you mentioned you have a rooster I have two but I would also only have one female duck? would the roosters keep the duck away? Or is there a different tye of duck that mates for life?

I know you mentioned you have a rooster I have two but I would also only have one female duck? would the roosters keep the duck away? Or is there a different tye of duck that mates for life?
I think a lot depends on the temperaments of the roosters and the temperament of the drake. It's definitely a risk. I don't know of any duck breeds that mate for life. They sometimes bond with a specific duck but they’ll still mate with others.

I think a lot depends on the temperaments of the roosters and the temperament of the drake. It's definitely a risk. I don't know of any duck breeds that mate for life. They sometimes bond with a specific duck but they’ll still mate with others.
Will the chickens let the drake mate with them or will they run away, if the run is big enough that way they can run away will that be ok?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom