Are no crow collars safe for a rooster? Do they work? Do they just dampen the crow or just stop the roo from crowing?

Bryce Thomas

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
I have heard some people say those collars strangled their rooster to death while others swear by its effectiveness that it dampens a crow to a whisper and the bird almost never crows. I just would like to know if they are safe and how to put one on. Do they dampen crows to a whisper or does the bird stop crowing all together?

Im asking this because in about 4 months im going to be in a strange situation with my rooster and need to know if it will prevent my boy Koa from crowing, If it wont I am a little worried with what to do with him. I know nobody wants a rooster so I know no farmers or ranches near me will want him, so im afraid ill have to dispatch him if a collar doesn't work...

Don‘t use a crow collar. If you can’t keep a rooster then don’t. You have 4 months to sell him, I’m sure someone would offer in that time. If it’s because your worried it would annoy everyone in your home then I’d go with the same solution as before, sell him. The rooster hasn’t done anything bad, he is just going with his instincts.

Crow collars most often just make the crow quieter then it would normally. There is no way to stop your rooster from crowing, it is his instinct to crow. It would be similar to if someone told you stop talking forever, it is next to impossible to do.

some people say those collars strangled their rooster to death while others swear by its effectiveness that it dampens a crow to a whisper and the bird almost never crows.
That's the answer right there: different people have different results, and some people even have different results with different roosters.

I just would like to know if they are safe
Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Do they dampen crows to a whisper or does the bird stop crowing all together?
They typically make the crow quieter. I don't know if they change how often the rooster does crow. Sometimes "quieter" is only a small change, and sometimes it is a big change.

Im asking this because in about 4 months im going to be in a strange situation with my rooster and need to know if it will prevent my boy Koa from crowing
The only way I think you can know for sure: get a no-crow collar now and try having your rooster wear it, to see how it works for him. Obviously, watch him while you try it, to avoid accidentally killing him during the experiment. But if he cannot wear it safely now, or if he is still too loud while wearing it, then you will still have time to make other plans before the last minute.

and are you not allowed to
have roosters where you live?

or do you just not want to hear your rooster crow?
Im AM allowed to have them, given that the noise just doesn't disturb the neighbors, knowing how his crow sounds like a pig being slaughtered china style (not joking) I know the neighbors will be disturbed so I need to get rid of him or find a solution

Im AM allowed to have them, given that the noise just doesn't disturb the neighbors, knowing how his crow sounds like a pig being slaughtered china style (not joking) I know the neighbors will be disturbed so I need to get rid of him or find a solution
sounds like you’ve got 4 months to find him a good home.

is there a reason he can’t stay at your friend’s place? if i’m being honest, that’s the part that i’d consider a “strange situation”

bringing him home sounds like the normal part of it all

how much land are you on? you’ve got some time; maybe you can go talk to your neighbors about the rooster between now and when he comes home.

Last edited:
Some breeds can wear them and some can't. You won't be able to stop them from crowing, but you can tone it down to a comfortable level. If the breed's neck is too thick, they will die. Plymouth Rocks can't wear them, but Dark Cornish can.

Back
Top Bottom