Are Ohio Beauties Extinct?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Hens_And_Chicks, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Hens_And_Chicks

Hens_And_Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Ohio
    When I was a kid, we had Ohio Beauty Chickens - I can't find anything about them anywhere. I live in Ohio and I have been told this breed was native to Ohio and they are rare. Does anyone have any information about breeding stock or fertile hatching eggs?

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Can you describe what they look like? I've never heard of them before, so I'm VERY interested in this! lol!

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Is it possible that maybe the name has changed, due to some cross breeding or hybridazation. see if you can visit with some older folks who may have an idea.

AL

4. Hens_And_Chicks

Feb 23, 2009
    Ohio
    They were a white kind of chicken with black specks in their feathers. I don't have a picture. We showed them at the fair when I was a kid back in the 70's. They layed large brown eggs - if I recall correctly, the eggs had brown specks on them - they were a medium dark brown with specks.

The closest color they look to a common breed today is the Silver Laced Wyandotte - except they were might whiter.

5. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
  6. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    I am not extinct, I just left the state. [​IMG] OH sorry you were refering to a chicken [​IMG]

7. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    [​IMG]

8. Hens_And_Chicks

Feb 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Meyer Hatchery is where I got my Barred Rocks and Dominques last year. The lady there said she had heard of them but they did not have any or know where to get any. I actually live in Wooster so this is a very interesting bit of information - I live very close to Kidron and Mt Hope where the buyer says they bought the chicks. My sister has Golden Buffs and would love to get some Ohio Beauties. If I could find some, I would love to incorporate them into my flock. I've tried to Google them, search for fertile eggs on ebay and look for them in breed books but so far, I have not been able to find any information.

9. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    Keep us posted on what you find.

10. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Contact the Ag college at The Ohio State or at University of Ohio and see what they have for you?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by