Are Orphingtons known to be egg eaters?

K9PINES

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 26, 2011
I just hung up with a woman I bought some chickens from that are not laying.

She suggested that they were eating the eggs that they lay.

I only have 6 hens bought them all from her (1 barred rock, 1 Orphington, 3 comets, 1 ameracauna). The Ameracauna is the only one that has layed eggs.

Obviously the eggs I am getting are from the Ameracauna are from her as they are olive green.

Anyway, she sold me these birds for $17 each and told me that they were laying eggs. Day 16 and none of them have layed a single egg.

I have a nice set up. 4 x 8 indoor coop with metal row nesting boxes with straw, 2 roosting rails, quality feed. We kept them in the coop for 8 days. We opened the door to outside and they are now free range. We live on the Mtn side and these are our first chickens.

Anyway, the barred rock has made what I call a funny gurgly noise in her thoat since we brought her home and has had loose yellow poops. I assumed the loose stools were stress of the move. The more time I spent with them and my husband knew right away that the barred rock was not well hubby thinks she has the bronchitis sickness?

I spoke with the girl I got them from and she is willing to take the birds back and send me home with other Orphingtons that she has. However she said that Orphingtons are KNOWN to be egg eaters. When I spoke to her a few days after bringing them home she told me she was new to birds herself and had been buying and reselling chickens since February and added anything she could make a buck on. This is not something I was happy to hear?
hmm.png

I have not found anything that says Orphingtons specifically are egg eaters.
Any insights?

Thanks,

Melisa

No, absolutely not. Orpingtons (no "h" in the breed name
wink.png
) are not known to be egg eaters. It's not breed related behavior. If hers are, they got into a habit and I wouldn't get any birds from her. I've raised them for years and never had one eat an egg. I'd walk away from that seller, personally. You have to be careful trading birds, too, because you can bring in disease that way.

I havent heard that....I WOULD return the birds and get a refund THEN disinfect EVERYTHING before getting new birds....respiratory diseases are something I wouldn't even want to mess with...JMHO
good luck

Back
Top Bottom