My hen lays a mini egg every day

sybonbon

Crowing
8 Years
Jan 9, 2016
Hi everyone. I just wanted to share my story with everyone about my special girl Hope. I got Hope in March of 2023 as a baby chick along with her 5 sisters. As a baby chick in the brooder she had a little problem. She swallowed a piece of thread from a towel. It was wrapped around her tongue and she could not get loose. I got scissors and cut off the string but I could not remove it completely. I named her Hope because I thought it was appropriate.Well she made it through and she started laying eggs at 18 weeks old with her sisters. The eggs were all the same size. Now, over the last month, I get tiny eggs. I know they are hers because I saw her lay them. Does anyone think the string has anything to do with no yolk passing through? She's healthy and shows no problem otherwise. Just wondering what everyone thinks.

Attachments

• PXL_20231128_140514463.jpg
    PXL_20231128_140514463.jpg
    859.5 KB · Views: 71
  • PXL_20231228_165931941.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20231228_165931941.PORTRAIT.jpg
    454.7 KB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20230703_224949850.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230703_224949850.MP.jpg
    913.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Hi everyone. I just wanted to share my story with everyone about my special girl Hope. I got Hope I'm March of 2023 as a baby chick along with her 5 sisters. As a baby chick in the brooder she had a little problem. She swallowed a piece of thread from a towel. It was wrapped around her tongue and she could not get loose. I got scissors and cut off the string but I could not remove it completely. I named her Hope because I thought it was appropriate.well she made it through and she started laying eggs at 18 weeks old with her sisters. The eggs were all the same size. Now, over the last month, I get tiny eggs. I know they are hers because I saw her lay them. Does anyone think the string has anything to do with no yolk passing through? She's healthy and shows no problem otherwise. Just wondering what everyone thinks.
That string is probably long gone by now. It's probably just she is still laying pullet eggs and hasn't started laying large eggs like the others have. How old exactly is she?

That string is probably long gone by now. It's probably just she is still laying pullet eggs and hasn't started laying large eggs like the others have. How old exactly is she?
She laid full size eggs when she started laying at 18 weeks old. She is 9 months old.

Might help if you took a pic of one or more opened up to see just what is in there.

Fairy, fart, wind, rooster eggs are usually from a tiny piece of tissue breaking loose from the reproductive tract, or an immature ova(yolk) and the body forms an egg around it. Color can be darker than 'normal' as the pigment coating released has to cover a much smaller area so is thicker. Can happen with any age layer, but more common with older layers.

I assume the string is no longer around her tongue?

What all and how exactly are you feeding?
Did she start laying the same time a the others in her age group?
Are any of the others still laying 'normal' eggs?
How many total has she laid?
Tho most pullets lay thru their first winter, some do not and it's not unusual to get funky eggs as they ramp down production to take a winter break.

Might help if you took a pic of one or more opened up to see just what is in there.

Fairy, fart, wind, rooster eggs are usually from a tiny piece of tissue breaking loose from the reproductive tract, or an immature ova(yolk) and the body forms an egg around it. Color can be darker than 'normal' as the pigment coating released has to cover a much smaller area so is thicker. Can happen with any age layer, but more common with older layers.

Tho most pullets lay thru their first winter, some do not and it's not unusual to get funky eggs as they ramp down production to take a winter break.
String is gone, 24 hr. feeder full of Kalmbach layer feed, she started laying the same time as the others and all the same size as the others, I get 5 normal and 1 mini every day, the photo shows all but 2 that she has laid. The tiny basket is full of her eggs plus the one on the counter for size comparison. I bought ISA Brown and Golden Comets so she's one of those.

Attachments

• 17037915183105617929882304342220.jpg
    17037915183105617929882304342220.jpg
    475.8 KB · Views: 14

Back
Top Bottom