Are Orpington cocks aggressive?

MidnightChickenLover

Songster
10 Years
Jul 13, 2009
I have had one orpington hen and she was the sweetest bird I have ever had, and I also read that the roosters were supposed to be quite gentle too. Is it true? I have a few silkies and the roosters are nasty little devils, hen isn't as sweet as the orpington was either...
Give it a rating (the docile-ness)
1-poor 2-average 3-okay 4-sweet 5-docile as can be

i had an Orpington roo take out 4 hens. i saw it for my own eyes so i know it was him. my girls are now roo-less and pouting. he smothered one hen (i figured it was an accident based on size comparison of him and the girls) then i saw him grab a hen by her neck feathers and he swung her in a complete circle and snapped her neck. 2 hens later he wasnt around

but i heard they are sposed to be gentle roos... thats the reason i chose an Orpington for my main man. never again. sorry to all the Orpington lovers here but one bad chicken sours the taste for more

Mine is great. He is very protective of all my hens. He will try and test me every now and then by pecking my shoes or chest butting me, but thats normally when I get between him and his girls.

I would give mine a rating of below 1 because he attacks. He also killed my very missed bantam partridge cochin. He used to be the most friendly thing in the world loved to be held and everything. but he slowly turned to the dark side. I am currently trying to find a new home or someone that will butcher him. I hope this helps in making your decision!
big_smile.png

I started the year with 4 roosters. I knew I had to reduce that number as I only had 13 hens this spring. It had been my intention to keep the BO as the primary roo. He was/is an imposing, beautiful bird with a very gentle disposition. Eventually he was pushed aside by Henry the Americauna roo. He is big, black and beautiful. After a slow start he took over as the dominant roo, Henry is the best roo by far. Protective of the hens yet gentle to all the young chicks. I would still have kept Dr. Phil as he had very good qualities that I desired in my flock BUT he was just too big and clumsy. He was litterally wearing out the hens. He was so clumsy mating that he often tore the hens skin. I regretfully sold him to a farmer who had lost his only roo and was looking for a replacement.

In my opinion Orpington roos are a very good choice if you have nothing else to compare them too. If you are having only one breed in your flock then a Orpington roo is a very good way to go.
I have a mutt flock of meat birds and wouldn't have it any other way. We enjoy all the colors and variations. Makes life all the more interesting. Also you don't have to worry about inbreeding near as much.

Uh oh I have a 14 week old buff orp roo now. He is sweet but I hope he doesn't turn and hurt my girls.....
hide.gif

Now I'm going to be paranoid.

Back
Top Bottom