Are peahens quieter than boys?

Larkspur88

Songster
8 Years
Apr 3, 2011
South Carolina
I was thinking about a peacock or a pair but now considering just a peahen to live amongst my chickens. I still think they are pretty. They just look drab as soon as a male is beside them! Are they quieter than males or do they make the same racket and calls and just as often?

Java and spaulding girls are very pretty, as are white, and some of the rarer colors especially if BS.

I have java and cameo hens for that reason, really though ALL peahens are pretty.

Honestly I don't even notice the girls. The boys are extremely loud. Especially during the night... or during the day when they are calling back and forth to the peacocks a mile up the road. Heck Zeus is so loud and yells so much by the end of the day his voice is hoarse.

My husband was like...a peahen? Wth is that??? I said you know a female peacock!!! He had no idea. He said NO. Lol!!!! I will convince him to let me get one. Eventually. I might go with the incubator for my birthday this year, but peafowl (peahen prefered on my want list!)

We kept a single peahen with our chickens when we lived in the desert, and about the only loud noise she ever made was "SPONK!" when something alarmed her. However, once we added a peacock and the flock multiplied--oh how they multiply--I've heard the hens occasionally holler like the males. So they can do it, but it's rare.

One problem with running peafowl with chickens is that if your chickens pick up cecal worm, the peas can get it too, and sometimes will get pretty sick. We were fine in the desert, but when we moved to a more humid climate and clay soil, there were earthworms everywhere (they're the vector) and eventually we did have a juvenile pea come down sick.

C&Rman :

Quote:
BS peahens are rare? If so I need to catch that wild one...

Nooooo
roll.png

What I said is some of the rarer colors in black shoulder are especially pretty like the BS cameo hens
love.gif

My BS cameo girls were a beautiful cream color almost all over, and a prettier color than the straight cameo
big_smile.png

38124_nice888.jpg

Quote:
BS peahens are rare? If so I need to catch that wild one...

Nooooo
roll.png

What I said is some of the rarer colors in black shoulder are especially pretty like the BS cameo hens
love.gif

My BS cameo girls were a beautiful cream color almost all over, and a prettier color than the straight cameo
big_smile.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/38124_nice888.jpg

Yep thats the way i read it......lot of people think BS not color what most people call bs are really blue blackshoulder......even use old breeders.

MAYBE ONE DAY WE CAN CALL THEM BY PATTERN WHAT WE CALL BLACKSHOULDER ARE REALLY SOILD WING ,WILD TYPE BARRED WINGS.

I know i still call them that too.

Just look at PURPLE BLACKSHOULDER PEACOCK....bet newbe think we are crazy calling them that when they have brown shoulders.

Opal ,charcoal silver shoulder
peach,cameo light brown shoulders'

Know the reason was because the first blackshoulders were only blues

lau.gif
one day maybe

Back
Top Bottom