Are Pekins Supposed to Be THIS Lazy?

karenmragan

Songster
Jul 12, 2019
Grand Junction, CO
Hello everyone! I got my first ducks this year. Ten hatchery assortment straight run. I think I got 5 rouens and 5 pekins. They are now one month old.
20200523_210246.jpg

They have all been eating the same food and everything, but I noticed the Pekins have put on a lot of fat. Given the opportunity to forage, they will sit in one spot and munch on the surrounding greens, while the other ducklings are active.

I am worried because the Pekins seem to avoid moving around too much and just sit around most of the day. They don't swim in the pool like the rouens do.

Is this normal for Pekins?

I currently have month old pekin ducklings, this being my first time ever having ducks. It is normal for pekins to gain weight because they are meat birds but my pekins like swimming in their 2 foot × 1 foot pool.

I currently have month old pekin ducklings, this being my first time ever having ducks. It is normal for pekins to gain weight because they are meat birds but my pekins like swimming in their 2 foot × 1 foot pool.
Okay thanks. I think I just need to make it easier for them to get into the pool; they're not as nimble as the other ones...

Yes, it is quite normal for heavyweight breeds like Pekin's to lay down more frequently, but if they appear to be laying down more often then not, I would probably start administering B complex , what are you feeding them as of now?

Yes, it is quite normal for heavyweight breeds like Pekin's to lay down more frequently, but if they appear to be laying down more often then not, I would probably start administering B complex , what are you feeding them as of now?
They're currently on a chick starter/oatmeal mash fed free choice plus salad greens twice a day. For their first two weeks I fed straight chick starter with niacin added in along with the greens.

They're currently on a chick starter/oatmeal mash fed free choice plus salad greens twice a day. For their first two weeks I fed straight chick starter with niacin added in along with the greens.

What brand of chick starter? They should still have a supplemental source of niacin right now.

Back
Top Bottom