are pekins the right fit?

I would really look into one of the layer hybrids. They look and act like Pekins, but they're bred for eggs, whereas Pekins are really meat birds. They're slimmer. I have a Pekin because she is a rescue, but I have heard great things about the layers.

Don’t get me wrong, I love them, i just don’t recommend a bird that big as a pet. Lots more better options.
Agree! My Saxony and Swedish have never had any issues. My Welshie must have bad genetics because she's kind of an expensive mess. For pets, I would go with Calls, tbh, but they lay small eggs, and not as much as others.

Agree! My Saxony and Swedish have never had any issues. My Welshie must have bad genetics because she's kind of an expensive mess. For pets, I would go with Calls, tbh, but they lay small eggs, and not as much as others.
I really get a kick out of my Runners, they lay well and the eggs are a more reasonable size than the Pekins. Mine are somewhat skittish, but I got them in very poor condition at 2 years old, so it is to be expected I suppose. KC’s will probably be my next ducks.

I will never have another Pekin, i have 3 in my 10 duck flock, 95 percent of the health issues i have had are with the Pekins. They are too big for their own good, constantly leg injuries, foot injuries, etc. i currently have 2 riding out the winter in my basement.
My Rouens, Welsh Harlequin and Runners with good food and clean water do just fine, with very little drama, my Welshies are the quietest barely make a sound, the runners chatter but really aren’t very voluminous.
I turn them loose in the garden only before planting and after harvest because they trample everything.
Ducks left free range will get eaten by predators, period, they cant fly to get away, they have no means of defense.
My feed bill runs on average 60-65/month, i was probably 2500 in getting set up initially.
Is it worth it for eggs? No! Is it worth it for the enjoyment of Ducks? Absolutely. Would I do it again? Yes, but no Pekin this time, probably just runners next time, maybe KC’s
Just a question did you supplement niacin with your pekins ?
Add extra nutritional yeast to the feed ?
I have a pekin myself and she hasn’t given me any issues and none of her offspring have issues
But I do add nutritional yeast as babies 1 tbs to 1 cup feed and as adults I sprinkle it on the feed a few times a week
Through winter I’m adding it to the feed daily
Pekins usually need the extra niacin more then what the feed provides
So if you are not doing this already
You could try and see if it helps
Also try vitamin B complex 1 ml over a treat or by syringe if they are really struggling do this for a few weeks as well as the nutritional yeast
You can’t overdose the niacin they will release why the body doesn’t need
Hood this helps ;)

Just a question did you supplement niacin with your pekins ?
Add extra nutritional yeast to the feed ?
I have a pekin myself and she hasn’t given me any issues and none of her offspring have issues
But I do add nutritional yeast as babies 1 tbs to 1 cup feed and as adults I sprinkle it on the feed a few times a week
Through winter I’m adding it to the feed daily
Pekins usually need the extra niacin more then what the feed provides
So if you are not doing this already
You could try and see if it helps
Also try vitamin B complex 1 ml over a treat or by syringe if they are really struggling do this for a few weeks as well as the nutritional yeast
You can’t overdose the niacin they will release why the body doesn’t need
Hood this helps ;)
You are preaching to the choir here, they get yeast supplements daily, they got b complex over peas daily for their first 6 months, my issues are self inflicted injuries by a horney drake, legs, wings, neck. You name it. Hes 12 lbs, just too big for a duck frame moving that fast. Others are mostly limited to bumblefoot, they have a very large area and despite my efforts the trees shed sticks faster than i can pick them up, too dumb to walk around they all try to go over, a 3 lb bird does so easily, a 8-12 lb bird not so much.

You are preaching to the choir here, they get yeast supplements daily, they got b complex over peas daily for their first 6 months, my issues are self inflicted injuries by a horney drake, legs, wings, neck. You name it. Hes 12 lbs, just too big for a duck frame moving that fast. Others are mostly limited to bumblefoot, they have a very large area and despite my efforts the trees shed sticks faster than i can pick them up, too dumb to walk around they all try to go over, a 3 lb bird does so easily, a 8-12 lb bird not so much.
That’s a Jumbo pekin
Mine is a girl and she isn’t very big for a pekin. My Swedish are much bigger birds but still not 12 pounds ;)
I’m glad you try those things
That’s all one can do is try
This is my girl. She will be 2 in a few months
She is in the house as the boys are all after her. For some reason she is the favourite of all the boys so she gets breaks from them

Attachments

• 59AED13B-D042-4B20-A470-B0AAF3F10071.png
    59AED13B-D042-4B20-A470-B0AAF3F10071.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
I will never have another Pekin, i have 3 in my 10 duck flock, 95 percent of the health issues i have had are with the Pekins. They are too big for their own good, constantly leg injuries, foot injuries, etc. i currently have 2 riding out the winter in my basement.
My Rouens, Welsh Harlequin and Runners with good food and clean water do just fine, with very little drama, my Welshies are the quietest barely make a sound, the runners chatter but really aren’t very voluminous.
I turn them loose in the garden only before planting and after harvest because they trample everything.
Ducks left free range will get eaten by predators, period, they cant fly to get away, they have no means of defense.
My feed bill runs on average 60-65/month, i was probably 2500 in getting set up initially.
Is it worth it for eggs? No! Is it worth it for the enjoyment of Ducks? Absolutely. Would I do it again? Yes, but no Pekin this time, probably just runners next time, maybe KC’s
I too am sorry that you have had health issues with your pekins. Are they jumbo pekins? My sons 3 and my one are not jumbo -- much smaller than my muscovy drakes. We have not had health issues except one eye infection with our pekins.

That’s a Jumbo pekin
Mine is a girl and she isn’t very big for a pekin. My Swedish are much bigger birds but still not 12 pounds ;)
I’m glad you try those things
That’s all one can do is try
This is my girl. She will be 2 in a few months
She is in the house as the boys are all after her. For some reason she is the favourite of all the boys so she gets breaks from them
He certainly is jumbo, but he was sold in a bunch of straight run Pekins. Yours doesn’t seem to have any orange on her bill, all mine have traditional bill color. I have a runner that has a gray bill like that, orange feet. Thats her giving me the business front and center. And my Drake, the one that is bigger than life in the middle.

Attachments

• 578194FB-67DC-4C7E-B044-EAC2F80DF5C3.jpeg
    578194FB-67DC-4C7E-B044-EAC2F80DF5C3.jpeg
    876.9 KB · Views: 7
He certainly is jumbo, but he was sold in a bunch of straight run Pekins. Yours doesn’t seem to have any orange on her bill, all mine have traditional bill color. I have a runner that has a gray bill like that, orange feet. Thats her giving me the business front and center. And my Drake, the one that is bigger than life in the middle.
Mine did have orange as well as her white duckling but both once starting to lay eggs got dark green dots and daisy laid for well over a year straight and it kept getting dots till it took over her beak
This is daisy and her sister at a few months old
Just before starting to lay eggs
I read up and it’s normal. Hormone thing I guess
Her daughter just started to lay this last month and now has a few spots to
But none of her other ones do just her white baby
Beautiful clan you have

Attachments

• 83F3E1C1-2A73-47A1-8BB6-BAE507E2AEDC.png
    83F3E1C1-2A73-47A1-8BB6-BAE507E2AEDC.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom