Are pheasant eggs more prone to exploding?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by NCIndiaBlue, May 16, 2010.

1. NCIndiaBlue

NCIndiaBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    NC
    Are pheasant eggs more prone to explode while incubating? I've had 3 or 4 explode over the last few week and it is very disgusting, and I had to completely clean and disinfect two incubators - not fun when it's full of eggs lol. I have never had a chicken, peafowl, turkey or guinea egg explode before.

2. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

I haven't had any yet. knock on wood. Are they from your birds or shipped eggs?

Steve

3. NCIndiaBlue

Feb 20, 2009
    NC
    Some are from my own pheasants, and the majority are from a local friend that I physically picked up and brought home - This is the first time it's happened to me, I just thought it was strange and wanted to see if anybody else had issues.

4. kikescove.com

kikescove.com Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Selah Washington
    I've hatched and incubated thousands of them and never exploded ANY. I'm guessing you picked up old ones from last season and thenthe increased temp popped them.

5. ranit

ranit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Illinois
    Yes, it sounds like a very old egg especially if it was early into the incubation. If you candle the eggs every week and dispose of the bad eggs you can usually avoid this problem. I have never had a pheasant egg explode, only a duck egg (must have picked up an old one) when I wasn't very diligent about candling.

6. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Never hatched pheasants before but I have hatched chickens, turkeys, guineas, ducks and quail. Only ever had this problem with quail and the reason I got from people is that the cock to hen ratio was too low and they were not fertile and exploded. Could be the same here.

Colby in TX

7. NCIndiaBlue

Feb 20, 2009
    NC
    Good to know that it's not a "pheasant" thing, I didn't believe it would be but had to ask. Now I just have to figure out what I'm doing wrong LOL. Most eggs aren't any older than 3 or 4 days when they are put in the incubator, though some were probably pushing 7 days. I didn't have them last year, this is my first year with pheasants, so I suppose I'm still learning. I do candle them, but I've been leaving the questionable one's in there - it's hard to tell with dark green eggs. The thing is, there was no bad smell before they exploded - as I always toss those immediately.

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:HOWS THE HUMIDITY IN YOUR BATOR? THEY ARE VERY SENSITIVE TO LOW HUMIDITY AND WILL STOP DEVELOPING. IF THIS HAPENS THEN THE FUSE IS "LIT" ON YOUR POTENTIAL EGG BOMB...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by