Are porcelain eggs giving my broody hen false hope?

I personally wouldn't want to hatch chicks under a broody in November. How cold is it where you are?
Not very - in the lowcountry of South Carolina. It’s typically in the 50’s/60’s now, we will occasionally get a warm day during this time of year (up to the high 70’s sometimes), but every now and then we will get a cold snap that drops to the 20’s/30’s.

Not very - in the lowcountry of South Carolina. It’s typically in the 50’s/60’s now, we will occasionally get a warm day during this time of year (up to the high 70’s sometimes), but every now and then we will get a cold snap that drops to the 20’s/30’s.
You might be okay then. Up to you! I would decide rather quickly though so you can break her sooner than later if that's your route.

If I do decide to let her hatch out a few and keep her with the flock, is there anything I should keep in mind? I wouldn’t mind having a few babies, but the thought of having chicks around some of my bigger girls makes me anxious… I don’t want to have to separate and re-integrate Ms. Broody Hen so she can raise them.
All my hens raise their chicks with the flock, and I have had no issue with it.
I think it would only be a problem if you have a vicious hen at the top of the pecking order; but I think it would be very rare for a hen to try to kill chicks.

Is November a bad time of year to try and let her do this for the first time, or does Mother Nature take care of everything?

It might work, but my concern right now would be that she has already sat long enough to hatch chicks and her instincts may well soon tell her that she should give up.

I had a broody who had sat for about 10 days when I put eggs into the incubator. I didn't give them to her directly for several reasons, including that I was trying to sell her. When they were a week from hatching and she was still sitting I decided to give them to her when they hatched. Then, 2 days before the hatch, she gave up and got off the nest.

Probably best to break her now then let her hatch in the spring. :)

It might work, but my concern right now would be that she has already sat long enough to hatch chicks and her instincts may well soon tell her that she should give up.

I had a broody who had sat for about 10 days when I put eggs into the incubator. I didn't give them to her directly for several reasons, including that I was trying to sell her. When they were a week from hatching and she was still sitting I decided to give them to her when they hatched. Then, 2 days before the hatch, she gave up and got off the nest.

Probably best to break her now then let her hatch in the spring. :)
Thank you for the input, I had the same thought that maybe she would give up because of her biological timer.
However, just to make sure I understand - if I leave a couple of eggs with her and she stops sitting and gives up, is the worst case scenario just having to throw out a couple of fertile eggs? I don’t mind that, if it stops the broody cycle for now! I just don’t want to cause her malnutrition or harm.

When I got home, I took out the eggs and cleared nesting material from the boxes to discourage her from and she immediately went straight to the eggs and rolled them all under her. 😭 Maybe I’m a sucker, but it broke my heart!

Thank you for the input, I had the same thought that maybe she would give up because of her biological timer.
However, just to make sure I understand - if I leave a couple of eggs with her and she stops sitting and gives up, is the worst case scenario just having to throw out a couple of fertile eggs? I don’t mind that, if it stops the broody cycle for now! I just don’t want to cause her malnutrition or harm.

When I got home, I took out the eggs and cleared nesting material from the boxes to discourage her from and she immediately went straight to the eggs and rolled them all under her. 😭 Maybe I’m a sucker, but it broke my heart!
You'll need to pur her in a cage with a wire bottom for a few days

if I leave a couple of eggs with her and she stops sitting and gives up, is the worst case scenario just having to throw out a couple of fertile eggs?

The worst case scenario is that you have baby chicks almost ready to hatch abandoned and die. :(

That's what would have happened if I'd put my eggs under Mocha only to have her give up and get off the nest when they were only 2 days short of hatching.

Do you have an incubator available -- your own or one you could borrow -- to rescue the eggs if that happens?

The worst case scenario is that you have baby chicks almost ready to hatch abandoned and die. :(

That's what would have happened if I'd put my eggs under Mocha only to have her give up and get off the nest when they were only 2 days short of hatching.

Do you have an incubator available -- your own or one you could borrow -- to rescue the eggs if that happens?
OHH, I see what you’re saying now. Nevermind, that is much worse than just losing a couple fertilized eggs! 😣

I could definitely get an incubator if it came down to it. I wish I knew exactly how long she has been broody for, it seems like more of a personality trait than a phase at this point!

OHH, I see what you’re saying now. Nevermind, that is much worse than just losing a couple fertilized eggs! 😣

I could definitely get an incubator if it came down to it. I wish I knew exactly how long she has been broody for, it seems like more of a personality trait than a phase at this point!

IMO, it would be a good idea to break her, let her restore her strength after sitting so long already, and see if she goes broody again in the spring. :)

IMO, it would be a good idea to break her, let her restore her strength after sitting so long already, and see if she goes broody again in the spring. :)
I think that will save me a lot of stress. I want her and her future chicks to have the healthiest start possible.
Do you recommend the wire cage method also, or do you have another way you prefer using?

Back
Top Bottom