Are production red hens very likely to get broody?

Hasbeth

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 19, 2013
NSW, Australia
Today my family and I were very busy and couldn't collect the eggs in time, and when I came home, I found one of our reds sitting on the nest. My young cousin collected the eggs out from under her, and after doing so the hen left the nest. When she returned, she seemed very distressed and was making what I suppose could be described as very mournful sounds.

I suppose it's too early to tell if she will be broody but I was just wondering if it's likely that she'll be broody? And if so, are production reds easier to break from broodiness? I'm worried that taking the eggs out from under her was a bad idea, but then I'm not sure. If she is broody, what are some methods I can use to break her from broodiness?

Hello! In my experience production reds arent broody, they are produced for volumous egg laying so the broody gene or whatever it is, is bred out. You may have just caught her while she was laying her egg. In the event that she IS broody, keep collecting eggs as often as possible. This will discourage setting!

Hmm, our hens usually lay in the morning/early afternoon, while this was when it was almost dark. And all of the eggs had long been laid when we caught her sitting on them.

I have heard that some can be broody, but we'll see in the morning. If she is we can keen her from the nests after our hens have all laid their eggs, seeing as we made a barrier between the roosts and the nest.

But we'll see soon! Thanks for the reply :)

Back
Top Bottom