are quail cold hardy??

jenny craig

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 3, 2014
i plan on getting about 50 coturnix and where i live there is a couple days of the year when it can get -35F and i would like to know if my quail could handle that. they will have a place out of the wind. if you have any other advice i would love that too!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I am from Russia, I read Russian quail forums. People keep quails there in winter, in un-heated barns, just protected from the snow and wind. It looks likes the little birds don't mind the temperature (-35F is rare, but it happens), as long as they stay dry.

Since this thread has already been started regarding Quail being "Cold hardy", I figured here would be a better place to post rather than starting a new thread. Ihope to get similar responses to my situation.

We live in Oregon (Never gets that cold! Brrrrrr.!). Right now, nights are in the low 40's, Once we get into the later part of December/January, it can get into the teens (Last winter it got down to 7degrees for a week or so but usually 20~30 degrees.

We keep our quail in pen batteries in our breezeway. Roof has a ceiling (like inside a room), one wall is our house and the other is a wall dividing the shop from the breezeway. Both ends have doors. (I insulated the door facing our neighbors with three layers of moving blankets to quiet the roos, but I'm sure it provides additional thermal insulation. Planning on doing the same to the other end.) Not sure how cold it gets in the breezeway. I'll place a recording thermometer (max/min) from the incubator to get a better idea.

We've been hatching and raising Quail since early summer without incident (from heat), but this will be our first winter.

I have a batch of chicks in the brooder box (inside our house), and wondering if 4 weeks old is ok to move them out to the breezeway. (They "should be" fully feathered by then (I'll check that before trusting any specific age.)

At 30~40 degrees, what are the chances of loosing them to cold if I place them out "mostly" feathered (really close but maybe not fully feathered...) Hoping for four weeks as we have developed a hatch, raise harvest schedule that has been working really well.

Alternative would be to wait an extra week.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Richard & Tresa

Humidity is a concern regards cold , much like wind chill, the effect of dampness and temperature variation can create the "chill" effect,otherwise known as dew point, cutting drafts and allowing ventilation to exhaust humidity can help (circulation) . Ambient temperature that is cold and humid can be a problem, insulation retains sourced heat , fairly negligible unless you provide a heat source, they will bunch together to warm themselves,much like under a radiant source in a brooder.They like dry cold, humid cold makes them uncomfortable. I find that 5 to 6 weeks warrants hardiness in my quail.

Thanks!

They are essentially kept indoors (The breezeway is closed at night, open on one side during the day), and insulated. Not sure about humidity but we've never seen any of our quail group together for warmth. We have some 4 week old in there now and they seem fine. Still going to place the max/min recording thermometer in there to check temps... I can also check humidity with the same device. At any rate, we will wait until they are at least 4 wks old, check feathers and place them in pens in the morning and monitor them during the day and stop in at night to check behavior.

Thank you again!

Richard & Tresa

I am not picking on anybody on here, But I get this question on other sites at least weekly, as long as you are dealing with Coturnix (Japanese) or New World Quail (Bobwhite, valley, gambel, blue scaled etc..) Then They will be absolutely fine. As long as you provide them with a roof and a wind break they can survive frigid temps, My birds did fine in -20F last winter. Just always let them have feed and water, because digestion provides warmth. Do NOT give them a heat lamp or any artificial heat unless they are in a insulated building, the reason being, you birds will be naturally hardier without it, and if you do provide it, and a circuit shorts or the power goes out when its very cold, your birds will be acclimated to the warmth they have been receiving and will likely die from the temperature shock and not being acclimated. I dont worry about my birds in the cold, never have had a problem with it. Just provide the necessities, and they will take care of themselves

We are stuck into a few weeks of extreme cold temperature right now and they seem to be doing just finel. It was -35F last night and they all survived. One of my girl actually laid an egg!

Back
Top Bottom