Are quail eggs supposed to float?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mr.majestik, Feb 4, 2009.

1. mr.majestik

mr.majestik Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2008
    GA
    I am incubating 100 quail eggs and have 20 or so left over. I decided to pickle some (mmm mm good) and was washing them when I noticed they all floated in the rinsing bowl. Now I have heard fresh chicken eggs sink and bad ones float but does this apply to quail eggs as well? I cracked one and it seemed fine. Any help would be most appreciated.

2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

You know I had the same question the other day because I boiled 9 eggs and one floated. I just took the floater out and ate the rest because of what I've heard about chicken eggs. I'm assuming the same rule applies. [​IMG]

3. spookyevilone

spookyevilone Crazy Quail Lady

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    No, they shouldn't. It means either:
    1) Egg gone bad
    2) Dehydrated too much in the fridge - still safe to eat but rubbery like whoa.
    3) Developed chick near hatching inside. (found that one out the hard way when I thought a late-term floater meant bad egg.. doh)

I crack 'em if they float after boiling and if they're not stinkers, feed 'em to animals. If they float before boiling, they go right down the garbage disposal.

-Spooky

4. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:Glad I got that right the other day when I was boiling them. Whew!

5. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Good to know. [​IMG]

Going to do a quick hijack, lol. Are quail egg membranes supposed to be so thick? I had a few that I cracked, and I actually had an easier time cutting them with cuticle scissors than I did cracking them on the counter. Were they old? They were being incubated, so I'm hoping that's what the problem was...

6. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I have found that quail eggs start floating a lot quicker than chicken eggs and have not found them to be "that bad" but just the same I usually feed those to the rats...

7. spookyevilone

spookyevilone Crazy Quail Lady

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    Quote:Quail membranes are thick and a pain in the rear. I actually don't bother cracking shells, I just soak 'em in white vinegar for a few hours until the shell dissolves and then I cut a small tear in the membrane with a knife and peel it off. It's like a small sheet of rubber. First time I saw it, I was surprised my eggs EVER hatched [​IMG] Let's hear it for egg teeth.
    -Spooky

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by