Are rabbits worth it?

bridgetchicken

Songster
Sep 19, 2022
I’m having second thoughts about keeping rabbits. The only reason I want them as an (outdoor) pet is that they look adorable. But after researching all about rabbits it seems a dog (which I already have) is a much better companion if I want a lap pet.

Are rabbits really worth it?

I’m thinking about just sticking with coturnix quails.

I’m having second thoughts about keeping rabbits. The only reason I want them as an (outdoor) pet is that they look adorable. But after researching all about rabbits it seems a dog (which I already have) is a much better companion if I want a lap pet.

Are rabbits really worth it?

I’m thinking about just sticking with coturnix quails.
Sometimes rabbits are worth it, and sometimes they are not. It depends on the person and the situation.

Interacting with a rabbit is different than interacting with a dog. So if you know that is the kind of interaction you like, yes a rabbit is worth it. A dog would not be a good substitute.

But if your idea of a "companion" and "lap pet" is based on what your dog already does, then I think a rabbit would not be worth it for you.

(I have had live rabbits before, and I did enjoy them, but at present I don't think live rabbits are "worth it" to me. I know what care they need, and I'm not willing to provide that right now. So I currently have a stuffed toy rabbit, which is adorable but doesn't mind sitting alone on a shelf when I get too busy.)

Rabbits can be great pets if you put the time into it. I have had multiple rabbits as house pets and they can be fun and affectionate and cuddly lap pets. But you have to interact with them and you will get to know their individual personality and bring out their affectionate side. If you just want a rabbit to live outside in a hutch they tend to not want interaction with people and can be pretty boring. If you are interested in a house pet, check out the House Rabbit Society website.

I keep two rabbits as an outdoor pet and only because they’re cute…but I do play with em every once in a while and all winter I bring them into the house so they get a lot of socializing then. But, aside from the cuteness, no, I really don’t think rabbits are worth it unless you have elementary aged kids.

Nonetheless, here are some pictures :)

Attachments

• IMG_2176.jpeg
    IMG_2176.jpeg
    380.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6964.jpeg
    IMG_6964.jpeg
    387 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9291.jpeg
    IMG_9291.jpeg
    391.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2627.jpeg
    IMG_2627.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 10
Nope they pee like they are a faucet and it STINKS not to mention super expensive to feed

What were you feeding? It's been a good few years since I raised them, but a 50 lb bag of feed wasn't much more than a 50 lb bag of layer feed.
Maybe it’s because I hate commercial anything and made my own feed which I have to do due allergies anyway. I was buying specialized everything so maybe it’s just expensive in my case.

Back
Top Bottom