Are roos really "that" mean?

Quote:
It depends on the individual roo.

I have A big RIR that is great around humans.
He did try the aggresion thing with me, but I was able to modify his behavior using the methods described on my roo behavior page.

The link is in my sig line if you care to check it out.

Hope for a mean rooster.. everyone keeps saying " i hope mine isn't mean. I dont want a mean rooster etc etc". i have been hoping i get one that turns to be mean because i want to try some of the methods i've heard to see if i can stop a rooster from being mean.. all of my roosters/hens turn out to be big babies. Of course all of mine are held from day one and up. the ones i purchase. i hold once a day. or try to.

-Daniel

A picture is worth a thousand words.
big_smile.png

2008-03Mar02-01.jpg

Rooster-Red, love that picture, like the Roo too.
big_smile.png

I had 3 BR roosters. The black one was great, great protector of the hens and never bothered us. The two gray ones, Daryl and Daryl, turned out to be mean. One got me as I stepped off the porch, no hens in sight. He lasted just long enough for me to go get the shotgun. The other one actually started stalking me. I told my DH that he best take care of him or I will. He did and the dogs really did enjoy him.

The good black one gave his life protecting the hens from either coyotes or stray dogs.
sad.png

I have one black Australorp that got me one time. I think that I walked between him and a hen he was chasing, and he got me by accident. But I managed to get a good kick in, and then accidently stepped on his head.

So far so good with my Buff Orp Roo.

My Roo roo is sooooooooooo mean to everyone who allows him to act that way. I dont allow it, he eats out of my hand. My wife acts scared of him, and she has to watch her back. He chases cats out of my yard, attacks the scrub jays who try to steal chicks, and if a stranger even walks by, he crows like mad until they are gone. I consider him a better watch dog than my dogs!

Last edited:
We have a barred rock rooster and have always held him from day 1 (he's 9 months old now). He was perfectly fine with everyone until a few months ago. I went into the coop to get the waterer, turned around, and he was coming at me! He was between me and the door so I kicked, screamed, and dumped water on him until I could get out. Every time I even go NEAR the coop now he knows - and he's waiting! I won't go in there again, but my BF can pick him up and hold him just like Rooster-Red's pic and has never had a problem.

My DD says they can tell who's a pushover and who's not...guess that would be me...

my sunny was the nicest chick but then when he got older, MEAN AS COULD BE DRAWING BLOOD! but he WAS part leghorn
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom