Are roosters the only ones that get on a female hens back? Or do hens do it, too?

roxy2007

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 26, 2013
Escondido ca
My Coop
My Coop
Hi everybody at BYC i just love this site. Anyway I got new chickens to add to my flock. And i let them out to see how they all get along with each other and the chicken that we recently found out was a rooster and another chicken that we don't know for sure is a rooster tried to get on my pullets back? Does that mean its a rooster or a hen dominating? My bad the rooster was leaving my pullets alone. Please Help me . :)

The little white chicken we recently found out is a rooster. We think that the chicken to the far left that has black markings is a rooster, too. But we don't know yet.

this is a picture of the chicken that we think is a rooster. His/her wattles are a lot bigger now and has a bigger comb. I think he/she is a rooster but i don't know for sire yet because i haven't heard him crow

This is a picture of my 3 girls that i had before when they were babies. Charlotte, Roxy, And Sunny the most docile. Sorry for all the pics :)

Last edited:
Oh yea he's a roo for sure, in first pic look at his upwards stance of the 2 roo's and the low crouch of the hens. Plus his waddles and comb confirm it and hens don't mount other hens.
Welcome and enjoy BYC!
Steve. :frow

Hens will peck and jump on another hen's back. My Rock did it to one of my RIR until the latter thad to be removed from the flock (for reasons unrelated to the Rock's behavior).

Back
Top Bottom