Are Salmon Favorelles dumb?

WyoChick1

Chirping
Mar 13, 2023
Wyoming
Not in a bad way, if that makes sense. I'm just curious. I have one SF amidst a variety of other breeds, all are only 4 to 5 weeks old. They are all friendly and get along well, which I am grateful for. They are young still, but so far the SF seems to stand by herself in a corner a lot. Or she'll stick her head between her legs like a kid doing a summersault. It's so silly! The other birds snuggle with her at bedtime, and she seems healthy and happy and fine. But just a little more offbeat than the others. I am new to chickens so I was just curious what SFs are usually like.

Last edited:
No, they're not.

It sounds like she may be fighting off an illness of some kind. Head between the legs is one of the sleep postures.
Are her feathers also ruffled up as if she's cold?

Sometimes she floofs her feathers, yes. But they all do that off and on. She doesn't do the head between the legs thing all the time, and does not sleep that way. Just kinda does it once in a while, while everyone else is playing. She's doing her own thing. I have wondered if she is ok, but she's growing and seems alright, so I wasn't sure if these "quirks" were meaningful or not.

Sometimes she floofs her feathers, yes. But they all do that off and on. She doesn't do the head between the legs thing all the time, and does not sleep that way. Just kinda does it once in a while, while everyone else is playing. She's doing her own thing. I have wondered if she is ok, but she's growing and seems alright, so I wasn't sure if these "quirks" were meaningful or not.

I wasn't saying it's a problem sleep, just that it's another position for sleep to be added to her total nap time.
I'd keep an eye on how often she gets cold.
These things together: sleepy, inactive, cold, fluffed up, are frequently a sign of coccidiosis.
There aren't always signs in the poo.
Are they on an amprolium medicated feed?

I have two. They are definitely different, from eachother and other breeds. One of mine is very prone to dart away from the others, while the other is more laid back. When they were teenagers, they did this cute breast-bump thing with eachother. It looked like a sort of challenge/game but didn't include any pecking and they would do it randomly then stop. It was cute but they didn't continue after maturity.
As far as dumb, I'm learning to tolerate one of them that I feared was just dangerously stupid. Always a raspy squawk or grumble, no gentle coos like the other. Also, she was the last to figure out how to use a nest. She laid them on the floor until one day she became curious about the nest and since is fine. Now, either Faverolles will make a new nest of their own in bedding if the nest isn't available.
They don't forage aggressively like other chickens (that have four toes) but they will gently rough up the ground to mix things up. They don't eat grass or dig any up, and they will totally avoid forage areas that 'belong' to the higher rank hens, even if I try to lure them to it with some scratch or bugs.
Finally, their muffy cheeks seem to substantially block their vision. I have to really show them new veggies before I toss them on the ground or they can miss them entirely. Oh, and they seem to prefer veggies to meat. They like meat scraps, but will return to cabbage and tomatoes while there's plenty of protein left.
Sorry to branch into some non-intelligence related stuff, I felt it connected. Long story short, I really like them and I'm glad to have them as the matriarchs of the flock - and that has not been my steady opinion, including wanting to outright get rid of the dumber one. I'm over that.
Good luck with yours but I recommend a pair.

I wouldn’t say they’re dumb, but they are pretty silly and quirky. They are a very shy breed (most of the time) and are more timid to more assertive hens in a flock, which is why they do good with other docile breeds or in pairs. Not good free rangers as their muffs impede their vision a bit. They are quite noisy and chatty and make a few different chickens sounds than others seem to make, I love that about them. Mine is healthy as can be and loves to wander on her own for a bit in their yard and seems to like being in her own world sometimes (just like people have their alone time lol) before going over to the flock to hang out again. Her best friend is a very docile Meyers cookie and cream chicken. Getting another faverolles chick this spring because I really love the breed, I think they’re cute and funny.
01BA4F37-5522-4318-AD48-4D8D21575DFD.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom