Are Salmon Favorelles dumb?

Thank you, that's all good to know! I watched her very carefully this morning and it's hard to tell if she doesn't feel well, or is just quirky. Definitely more timid than the other birds, runs away from things or spooks easily. They group up to check things out or eat, and she hangs back by herself and waits her turn. She is just sort of odd. I hope she's ok though, my kids love her!

That's an interesting idea about adding another. Or, would she get along with a silkie too? My teen daughter really wants one of those, and she picked this SF too. She wants some "fancy" pet type chickens mixed in with our regular chickens.

I wish I knew for sure about how Faverolles will get along with others, but so far it's the 'others' not getting along with them that I had to deal with. Goodbye 2 Black Sex Link, hello brooder of 5 Golden Comet. They are, so far, the friendliest and most interactive chicks I've even seen. Some jump right into your palm when you reach in. All of them stay with the kids for as long as I dare let them away from the lamp. I hope you are able to find the breed you choose, it's been rough this year. I felt very lucky to catch the Comets at TS.

That's an interesting idea about adding another. Or, would she get along with a silkie too? My teen daughter really wants one of those, and she picked this SF too. She wants some "fancy" pet type chickens mixed in with our regular chickens.
I think she’ll get along great with a silkie given that silkies are also more docile. My whole flock is docile so they all get along great with the faverolles (I have all sorts of breeds but I choose my breeds based on friendliness, docility, and looks).

This may sound silly, but can you post a couple of pictures of her poop, as well as a picture of her as she is standing?
Also a picture of your brooder and the rest of the chicks.
Thanks, Janie

I'm at work rn so I can't get a picture of poop, but here are a few shots of her taken within the last few days.

Attachments

• PXL_20230318_011922029~2.jpg
    PXL_20230318_011922029~2.jpg
    574.9 KB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20230317_052806121~2.jpg
    PXL_20230317_052806121~2.jpg
    443.2 KB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20230317_052809194~3.jpg
    PXL_20230317_052809194~3.jpg
    557.4 KB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20230318_014509339~3.jpg
    PXL_20230318_014509339~3.jpg
    592 KB · Views: 1
Yes, Salmon Faverolles are dumb.
Ours were very dumb and would naruto run across the yard. That said, I still liked them a lot, even though I usually like intelligence in my birds. Exhibition Silkies are the dumbest breed.
I will have to argue against the silkie part, mine were brighter then my normal birds, very kind, some were top hens. :)

Just got home and checked on her and she seems fine. My whole flock is supposed to be friendly breeds but many are still more forward than she is. She mostly hangs out with the smallest chick, my runt buff Orpington, because she's small, I guess. They're both the odd ones out? The buff orp is actually pretty feisty though! But still, watching them and hearing you all say she may need another SF or something similar, makes sense.

Just got home and checked on her and she seems fine. My whole flock is supposed to be friendly breeds but many are still more forward than she is. She mostly hangs out with the smallest chick, my runt buff Orpington, because she's small, I guess. They're both the odd ones out? The buff orp is actually pretty feisty though! But still, watching them and hearing you all say she may need another SF or something similar, makes sense.
My SF’s bestie is a tiny Speckled Sussex. She even let the Sussex lay an egg in her nest when she was brooding. They are such good friends. They also hang with my Brahma and two Easter Eggers, the most docile girls of my flock.

She looks and seems perfectly healthy to me! Just had that quirky Faverolles personality haha.

Yes, Salmon Faverolles are dumb.
Ours were very dumb and would naruto run across the yard. That said, I still liked them a lot, even though I usually like intelligence in my birds. Exhibition Silkies are the dumbest breed.
No buff polishes are the worst. I don't know why, but buff laced ones seem dumber than other polishes.

Back
Top Bottom