Are shell-less eggs normal at first??

mothersin2ition

Songster
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
Othello, WA
Our Australorp *just* started laying, in fact, the first one we actually witnessed her drop was last evening, and it had no shell at all. Just the membrane holding everything in. Then today as I was searching the coop for eggs, I found another shell-less egg in the litter that had been stepped on. Im assuming it was from the same Australorp.
Is this normal at first? It seems like I read somewhere that it's common when they first start laying, but now I can't find that information.
Also, they have all been switched to layer feed, and have oyster shell on demand.

I have noticed that some first eggs don't have the shell fully formed. Like they are funky on one end. It should get better as she gets into the swing of things.

mine did that too at first, just every once in a while. to be safe, i gave them a bowl of oyster shell, in case they needed some supplementation.
smile.png

Perfectly normal - I've gotten many different strange things. I once got half a shell, giant double-yolkers, egg white onlys, thin flexible shells, bumpy warped shells, you name it. Egg laying is a system, and your chicken is just working out the kinks.

I agree it must be normal. I found 3 shelless eggs. I have 11 that are reaching the laying age. So it could have been from different birds. Some seem to get it right away and others need a little practice first!!
smile.png

Thanks for the replies everyone
hugs.gif
, I feel much better! I haven't gotten another soft egg since yesterday, but I wont stress it if I do.
Man, I am LOOOOOVING this!! Every morning (and afternoon, and evening) is like Easter!!! Now I just wish my EEers would start laying
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
I know what you mean! I was so excited for my first EE eggs. Mine just started laying a couple of weeks ago. They are the prettiest pale green eggs. I heard some lay pink! Talk about Easter coming every day! Does anyone know if the same EE hen can lay dif colors? Or once they lay green will they always lay green?

Hey Northern California, How's things doing up there? I'm in Montana and we are getting some of your smoke. Weird. I used to live in So Cal, we burned that area up already. Hope things are ok where you and your chicks are.

Back
Top Bottom