Are shreddies good for Goats?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by PrinceSandwich, Sep 15, 2010.

1. PrinceSandwich

PrinceSandwich Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    I have been using Shreddies cereal for treats for my goats, and I was wondering if they'er good for them?

2. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Never heard of them but mine love Cheerios and Life.

3. glenolam

glenolam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Canterbury, CT
    Too much of anything isn't good for goats, but an occasional treat doesn't hurt. As long as they are given good hay or pasture/forage, water, and minerals free choice a treat now and then isn't bad. Just watch their poop...if it gets clumpy or watery, cut back on the treats!

4. cmjust0

cmjust0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Central KY
    I'm typically 100% against the feeding of any processed human food to goats, but after reading the ingredients of "Shreddies"...well, the stuff sounds like animal feed to begin with. If ever there was a human food that's probably not dangerous as a treat for goats, it's probably a Shreddie.

I'm not officially condoning this, mind you! [​IMG] If you want a good treat for goats, offer them a handful of alfalfa pellets or something -- I guarantee they'll like that just as well as a Shreddie, and a bag of alfalfa pellets is probably cheaper in the long run than Shreddies.. I'm just saying...the stuff sounds about as harmless as a processed human food can get.

It sounds pretty boring, too.. And a little gross, frankly. [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    or go get some form of wheat in bulk bags from the feed store.... That cereal is listed at 94.9% wheat. Add a pinch of salt and sugar and you've got shreddies. [​IMG]

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I am sure they are a perfectly fine goat treat, but MAN they are kind of expensive for that aren't they, at least on a per-weight basis? (Says the person whose husband and sons go thru about $6 of Shreddies per week, and that's with buying the super-jumbo boxes) [​IMG]

Seriously, alfalfa pellets would be a LOT cheaper.

(note to Americans, Shreddies is a Canadian cereal not sold in the States; they are a small flat square cereal looking a lot like Chex only entirely whole-wheat and without much if any added sugar. They taste like reconstituted cardboard <ducking and running from Canadians)

Pat, who agrees with cmjust0 that they are more like animal feed than people feed (I can't stand them [​IMG])

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by