Are shreddies good for Goats?

Too much of anything isn't good for goats, but an occasional treat doesn't hurt. As long as they are given good hay or pasture/forage, water, and minerals free choice a treat now and then isn't bad. Just watch their poop...if it gets clumpy or watery, cut back on the treats!

I'm typically 100% against the feeding of any processed human food to goats, but after reading the ingredients of "Shreddies"...well, the stuff sounds like animal feed to begin with. If ever there was a human food that's probably not dangerous as a treat for goats, it's probably a Shreddie.

I'm not officially condoning this, mind you!
tongue.png
If you want a good treat for goats, offer them a handful of alfalfa pellets or something -- I guarantee they'll like that just as well as a Shreddie, and a bag of alfalfa pellets is probably cheaper in the long run than Shreddies.. I'm just saying...the stuff sounds about as harmless as a processed human food can get.

It sounds pretty boring, too.. And a little gross, frankly.
sickbyc.gif

gig.gif
lau.gif

or go get some form of wheat in bulk bags from the feed store.... That cereal is listed at 94.9% wheat. Add a pinch of salt and sugar and you've got shreddies.
tongue.png

I am sure they are a perfectly fine goat treat, but MAN they are kind of expensive for that aren't they, at least on a per-weight basis? (Says the person whose husband and sons go thru about $6 of Shreddies per week, and that's with buying the super-jumbo boxes)
tongue.png

Seriously, alfalfa pellets would be a LOT cheaper.

(note to Americans, Shreddies is a Canadian cereal not sold in the States; they are a small flat square cereal looking a lot like Chex only entirely whole-wheat and without much if any added sugar. They taste like reconstituted cardboard <ducking and running from Canadians)

Pat, who agrees with cmjust0 that they are more like animal feed than people feed (I can't stand them
tongue.png
)

Back
Top Bottom